04

March, 1911
Hogwarts

'Dear Calliope,

I am so sorry darling. About everything. I wish to be able to talk to you in person, to explain, but I am afraid I cannot. Circumstances prevent me from doing so, and I know you will possibly be angry, scared, and confused. But I swear on my life you will be safe. And loved.

Callie, I can't take care of you the way you deserve. It terrifies me not knowing where your next meal will come from, or if I can afford your school books, or if I can even manage to put clothes on your back.

What I do for a living is not a respectable job by any means, and I don't wish for you to grow up like that or around that. And I know you are at Hogwarts most of the year, but your sister is not. Colette needs a proper home, as do you.

As of the end of this school term, you will no longer be living with me, and if things work out with this family, you will no longer be my daughter, at least, not legally.

There is a couple who is wishing to adopt, to take care of you and your sister and to love you unconditionally. They will provide for you better than I ever have, darling.

Now, this couple is different from most families. They are both women, which I know is unusual and generally frowned upon. But I've met them, and they really are quite lovely. I trust them with your life, which is very hard for me to do, but I trust them.

I know you may never see them as your parents, and you may be angry with them and me and even the world, but I know they will love you, so give them a chance will you please?

I know this a lot to take in. But it's for the best. And I do it because I love you, not because I don't. I just want you to have a better life than I did.

They have a son. And they will take you and Colette, so the two of you will stay together.

Their names are . . .'

Calliope stopped reading the letter, tears streaming down her face. Her mother was abandoning her and Colette? With strangers? She would no longer be their mother?

She didn't understand. She couldn't comprehend what was happening. And to make matters worse, she found out through a letter in the Great Hall.

Other students were eyeing her oddly, wondering what on earth could make someone cry that quickly or that hard. Because dear Calliope was sobbing, her breath coming out in hiccups.

She noticed all the eyes and grew uncomfortable and embarrassed, standing up from the table suddenly. She ignored the questions of her friends, her letter gripped tightly in her hand, tear stains beginning to form on the parchment.

Calliope ran to the Hufflepuff common rooms, so caught up in her mind that she tapped the rhythm on the barrel incorrectly, vinegar spilling all over her in response to her mistake.

This only made her cry harder, her body sinking to the ground against the wall behind her. She pulled her knees to her chest, unable to stop herself from crying even for a second.

It was nearing the end of breakfast, so she hardly expected to see anyone nearing the common rooms, though, that was hardly the thought on her mind. At least until a shadow had over-fallen her.

Newt had overslept, much to his own displeasure, which led to his late exit from the Hufflepuff common rooms.

He hadn't expected to see the crying, drenched girl who smelled strongly of vinegar, despite her yellow colored robes. Certainly a Hufflepuff hadn't tapped the rhythm wrong. Maybe she was a first year? He wasn't sure, and despite his lack of people skills, he found himself walking over to her.