Chapter 11: What Kind of Bullshit is That?

"They're being punished for saving (Y/N)'s life?" Danny's eyes narrow like a snake and you can already see his breathing becoming irrational. "What kind of bullshit is that?" now, his scary calm is gone, replaced by a reddened face and clenching fists. He tensed his shoulders, his stance becoming intimidating and threatening.

"Y-Yes, of course they are! They broke protocol, and damaged their cells-"

"That's bullshit!" he repeats, and half-lunges at Melanie, a big, quick step that forces her backwards out of pure fear.

"Danny, calm down!" you try to say, and you wanted to say more but his withering gaze turns to you.

"No, (Y/N), this isn't okay! Mike and Jay are innocent! You know how much Jason values his outside time, you can't take that away from him!" his voice rose steadily, dripping with acid rage. His gaze returns to Melanie, who's slowly reaching for the beeper strapped to her belt; most likely to call for backup. You have to diffuse this situation before someone gets hurt.

"Danny, I already spoke to them! They're just fine!"

"Of course they said they're fine!" he snaps, spinning violently to face you and taking a step too close. "They have the softest spot for you! They don't want you to feel guilty, but you should." you flinch back, hurt exploding in your chest at his words. Danny realizes his fault, but the guilt that flashes for a millisecond in his yellow gaze is rapidly overtaken by rage once more.

"Mr. Johnson, enough!" Melanie shouts over him, pulling the beeper from her belt loop and clicking the button to signal a guard detail. "You are completely out of line!"

He whizzes to face her, "Out of line? Was Michael out of line as he killed that dirty rapist?" the question is a trap, and you want to yell for Melanie not to answer. No matter her response, Danny would have the upper hand. Urgency presses in around you as the tension in the room threatens to snap.

"Danny," you reach out to place a hand on his arm, "Melanie is right," your hand brushes his skin, and he tenses, "you're out of line!" it connects, and at the same instant Danny spins to face you, pulling an arm back and bringing his hand violently across your face. You scream, losing your footing and tumbling to the ground hard.

"O-Oh my god-" Danny gasps, snapped out of his funk for a moment. He drops to his knees behind you as Melanie lets out a gasp of fear. "Shit, sweetheart I'm so-" he's cut off with a scream as he convulses violently, a taser-stick jabbed violently against the small of his back. The rage in his eyes returns, doubled- no, tripled in intensity. He's on his feet in an instant, stepping around you and diving for the fork that had been delivered with his meal. "Stay the fuck back!" he spits, and you scramble to your feet, hands wrapping around your arms to pull you closer to safety. Danny was completely lost now, a whole new person.

"Put the weapon down, Johnson!" one of the guards hiss, handcuffs extended and ready to click around the patients wrists. For a moment, Danny still seethes, and then he sighs, forcing his breathing to even out and moving to set the fork down on the table. The moment his hand leaves, the guard with the handcuffs moves forwards, but Danny is quicker. In a flurry, the fork is picked up again, and the guard doesn't even have time to scream as it's plunged deep into their neck.

"Shit!!" another guard screams, and Melanie grabs you, dragging you towards the door. You have to stay, you have to do something!

"Let go!" you demand, ripping your arms free and watching in horror as the events before you unfold.

Three guards are leaping for Danny, one armed with a taser and two others with metal batons. The one with the taser strikes first, jabbing the device outwards- an easy sidestep for Danny. He dives for the guards hand, gripping their wrist and bringing it down violently against his knee. With a shout, and another violent hit, the taser is on the ground, and then in Danny's hand, swapped with the bloodied fork. Instead of using the device as it was intended, Danny spun to face the next guard, a woman, and brought it down against the side of her head like a bat. The hefty device sent her to the ground just as the third guard, a man, dove for Danny head-on. The guard swung his baton, but Danny caught his wrist, kneeling down and ducking underneath the guards arm, hoisting up with all his strength to send the guard up and over, rolling across his back and to the floor head-first. The first guard, recovered from the blows from before, has armed himself with his own baton. They're more careful than the other two guards, waiting for a weak moment to strike. As Danny recovers from tossing the man over his back, the first guard swings the baton directly at the patient's head. It catches his temple, sending him stumbling over the body of the male guard on the ground, but Danny is quick to leap back to his feet with a grimace. As the female moves to attack Danny again, he dives for her, catching her chin and stabbing the taser directly into her mouth. She screams, convulsing, white foam dripping from the corners of her mouth as a horrid burning smell fills the room. She tumbles to the ground, dead. You scream, but hardly hear it over the thudding of your pulse in your ears.