chapter 13: the anniversary

Y/n pov

I had woken up early and prepared everything so it would be easier for Hizashi to take care of Aizawa for the day. Once everything was ready and I feed Kage, I headed out of the apartment to the train, purse and guitar case in hand.

It was an hour train ride to the family grave. I'd pick up flowers and any other offerings after I got to the little cemetery where my family's grave was. I couldn't visit the graves of my departed friends on the anniversary this year but I could at least visit my family's. 

I grabbed a bouquet of my mother's favorite flowers, some incense, and a few other favorites. I always visited the grave a few times a year so I went through the same motions. I cleaned the grave, lit the incense, put out the offerings, and replaced the flowers in the vase. 

I stayed for hours, just sitting there talking to my dead family, crying, and playing the guitar. I had a protein bar for lunch and left late. Once I had spent probably eight hours visiting the grave I decided to call it a day and head back home on the train. 

I checked my phone as I walked back to my apartment from the train station. It was six pm and I still had to heat up dinner.  I decided to buy some ice cream before finally going back to my apartment building. Aizawa should be home by now, Hizashi may still be there so I brought enough for three.

I unlocked the apartment door and walked in to find aizawa sitting on the couch. His usual bored face turned to look at me from where his gaze had previously been. His face contorted into a deep scowl that oozed disdain and irritation.

Aizawa's pov

I woke up fully dressed for the day. Food was on the counter and a note was next to it letting me know that Hizashi was on his way to walk to UA with me. I wasn't half way through my breakfast when Hizashi opened the apartment door.

"Shota," Hizashi smiled.

"Where's y/n," I said flatly. I was irritated to say the least.

"Oh she's got the day off for a personal matter. I told her I'd take you off her hands for the day."

I grunted in response and ate the rest of my breakfast. It wasn't until we were heading out a few minutes later that I realized Kage had been watching me from the couch.

Y/n had packed two bento boxes for lunch and left Hizashi specific instructions. The instructions started with picking me up and getting the lunches from the fridge. Then make sure that I had everything I needed, which she had already prepared in a bag, my graded paperwork. After we'd go about our days once arriving to campus. She'd added to make sure that I got to recovery girl's office after homeroom for my daily healing.

Her note said she would try to be back by dinner time, but if not there was a dish prepared already.

What the hell is she thinking taking a personal day. It's the beginning of the school year we're only a few weeks in. Not to mention it's her first year teaching. I went about my day and Hizashi escorted me back to Y/n's apartment. He stayed for a while until six rolled around. He said something about y/n letting him know she was only a few streets away. 

Seven came around and she still wasn't back. It had been more than an hour and she still wasn't home. Wasn't she only a few streets away an hour ago? 

There was a jingle and the door opened causing Kage to run out from wherever he had been hiding. Y/n walked in with bags in her hands and a case on her back.

"Sorry I'm late. I went to buy ice cream," she said closing the door before shrugging off the case from her back and setting it down.

I watched as she set down the case, a guitar case from the looks of it. My eyebrows knit together as I studied her. What the hell has she been doing all day? Did she really just take a personal day to goof off and play guitar, as if  last night wasn't enough.