30. The Department of Mysteries

Start from the beginning

"Really?" said Snape, showing his first, faint sign of interest as he looked round at Harry. "Well, it doesn't surprise me. Potter has never shown much inclination to follow school rules."

His cold, dark eyes were looking into Harry's, who met his gaze.

"I wish to interrogate him!" repeated Umbridge angrily. "I wish you to provide me with a Potion that will force him to tell me the truth!"

"I have already told you," said Snape smoothly, "that I have no further stocks of Veritaserum. Unless you wish to poison Potter, and I assure you I would have the greatest sympathy with you if you did, I cannot help you. The only trouble is that most venoms act too fast to give the victim much lime for truth-telling."

"You are on probation!" shrieked Professor Umbridge. "You are being deliberately unhelpful! I expected better, Lucius Malfoy always speaks most highly of you! Now get out of my office!"

Snape gave her an ironic bow and turned to leave.

"He's got Padfoot!" Harry shouted. "He's got Padfoot at the place where it's hidden!"

"What is Padfoot? Where what is hidden? What does he mean, Snape?" cried Umbridge.

"I have no idea," said Snape coldly, "Potter, when I want nonsense shouted at me I shall give you a Babbling Beverage."

With that, he closed the door behind him with a snap.

In the end, Umbridge had decided to use the Cruciatus curse on Harry, which was the breaking point for Hermione. She exclaimed loudly that there was a secret weapon and that she would show her. Umbridge looked ecstatic at that prospect and without delay, she, Hermione and Harry left. Leaving just the Inquisitorial Squad and the accomplices in Harry's mission in her office.

"Isn't this lovely, we've got all of you here. It won't be long until Umbridge expels you all." Draco said gleefully. I glanced around at the others, there was Ginny, Neville, Luna and Ron. I was holding Ginny, Draco was holding Ron and Crabbe and Goyle held Luna and Neville.

"Serves you right, running around with the likes of Potter." Draco continued.

"Eat dung Malfoy!" Ron said angrily.

"Shut up Weasley, when will you learn manners?" Draco said coldly. "What do you reckon your mummy will say about your expulsion?"

I heard Neville squirm in Goyle's grip, Goyle was holding onto the boy quite tightly. I had to do something. I needed to help them. Thinking quickly, I produced a flash that stunned everyone and cursed Crabbe and Goyle, I didn't want to hex Malfoy, however I didn't need to. Ginny had grabbed her wand back and performed a fantastic Bag-Bogey hex on him. the four of them then rounded and pointed their wands at me.

"I want to help," I said calmly, "let me come and help you."

I knew Ron didn't trust me after my dramatic reveal as 'Voldemort's secret weapon' but nevertheless, he grudgingly let me come with them. Before leaving I altered the rest of the Inquisitorial Squad's memory so that they wouldn't be suspicious of me, this wasn't the first time I had to alter someone's memory, I had become quite good at the Obliviate spell. We made our way to where Harry and Hermione were.

"So, you've got any ideas?" asked Ron.

"How did you get away?" asked Harry in amazement.

"You can thank me for that." I said dryly, still believing that Harry was going right into a trap.

"What've you done with Umbridge?" asked Ron.

Harry and Hermione explained that Umbridge got carried away by a herd of Centaurs and they were saved by Hagrid's giant brother.