Chapter 17: Forgotten Memories

Start from the beginning

"What joy?" the boy snarled, "What joy is there to be found in things that end up hurting you?"

His mother sighed and, reaching out her hand, gently caressed his head - raking her fingers through his hair. "There are more important things than simply preserving your own life, my dear, weightier things than that". She stared at him, as silence filled the air.

"He does not shy away from pain, Damien, so neither should we"

The little boy could feel the anger welling up underneath his skin.

"Who is HE!?" he snapped, "Let him come and heal you then mom! Let him come if he cares".

 The boy bit his lip, trying to stop the tears from flowing down. "Let him come, if he cares" his anger sizzled out and his shout quickly became nothing more than a faint whisper.

"Damien" his mom said sternly, "He always ensures that the worst will fall on His own shoulders... He..." she stopped, and stretching out her hands, picked the boy up, placing him on her lap. She encircled him with her arms, pressing him tightly against her chest. 

"He promised He would look after you for me... He said..." her voice chocked.

Damien turned his head to look up at her, and for the first time he saw his mother's face drenched in tears.

"...He said to leave it in his hands... so...so..."

She took a deep breath.

"So I can rest"

But as her voice echoed throughout the vast surrounding space, Damien's expression suddenly shifted from confusion to utter fright.

His eyes widened in horror as he saw a change come about his mother's face. 

It seemed to be thinning; becoming less solid, almost transparent.

Right before his eyes the change took place. 

All he did was stare, absolutely petrified, until she completely evaporated - into thin air.

The boy was left, staring blankly at the newfound emptiness between his arms where she had been.

He wanted to cry, but nothing came, not even a sound escaped his mouth.

Perhaps some of the readers can relate to the sadness he felt - a sadness so deep that, in the moment, not even tears could reach it.

Suddenly, however, he heard a loud crash and jerked his head up.

Surprisingly, he found himself within the confines of a car.

He opened the door and peeped out.