Chapter 15: Enemy in their midst

Start from the beginning

Izana remained silent for a moment before adding "Besides, what you want I cannot even give. I can only give you what I have and there is not even an inch of me that is mildly-good. All of me is completely good, but what am I to do if you will not receive me? What am I to do if you are too filled with your own desires for comfort and ease and there be no more room left in you for me? I can only give my gifts to vessels who are empty enough to receive them".

Alythia lifted her head up and tilted it back so that she was able to see its jet-black eyes "But how do I receive them then?"

"You only need to ask child. I will shower my goodness on those who ask for it BUT when you ask you must also trust that I shall give it. Being trusted is by far the bigger compliment – even bigger than being loved. You trust someone because they have given you a reason to trust them but love is different – many people all around the world continue to love even after the objects of their affection become unlovable".

Izana waited for a moment to make sure Alythia understood what he meant. After she nodded he continued "You see my girl, Love in its purest form is a steady wish for the beloved's ultimate good. Trust, however, is a firm belief that the beloved wishes for your ultimate good. Love then requires you to be good; trust on the other hand requires you to believe that your beloved is good".

The Dragon's gaze intensified, as if its eyes were cutting through her very soul.

"Will you then choose to trust me?"

As Alythia stared back at it a sweet affection bloomed inside her heart "I will" she responded.

The Dragon's eyes lit up, as if it had just received a very precious gift. "Good girl" it said and our pink haired damsel could've sworn she saw something like the corners of its mouth curving up into a smile.

She lay back down and nuzzled into the Dragon's neck as she sensed there was yet more he wanted to say to her.

Sure enough, shortly after putting her head down, Izana spoke again.

"Now then, I must warn you of the dangers to come" he sternly said. "You see child, there is an enemy close to you"

Alythia started feeling sleepy.

"But what do they want?" she asked with a yawn.

The Dragon heaved out a sigh "The same thing the dark arts, and thus everyone influenced by it, has always wanted – to take what is not theirs. What they currently desire is Karlyle's jewel and they are trying to use you to get to it. Take heed child and stay alert. Wolves come in sheep's clothing and even the devil can cover himself in a ray of light – albeit only for a time".

=========================================

Alythia heard something about Karlyle so she battled her heavy eyes and opened them once more.

Yet when she did she realized that she was no longer laying on Izana but was now on some unknown bed.

She slowly propped herself onto her elbows and glanced around the room.

It was already night time so the room was fairly dark; however, there was still a dim shimmer of moonlight shining through the window behind her bed.

As she looked around she caught sight of a boy's figure dozing off on a chair next to her.