2

Okay, so this chapter is kinda... just like, a timeskip with a summary of what's happened in Kelli's life. A lot of this book may actually end up being like this because writing an office doesn't sound that appealing if I also want them not to be, like, sitcomey? So, I'll be posting the next chapter as soon as I'm done with it, which will include some actual character interaction - which is my favourite thing to write because I get a good giggle out of it.

~

The connections made through the Slug Club had definitely gotten Kelli in the Department she had wanted. While there weren't any connections directly tied into the Department of International Magical Cooperation, the people she had owled had asked to meet her and gave her sparkling recommendations and had even gone so far as to introduce her to a few of the workers and the department chief.

So, on her first day, she wasn't subjected to so much nerves on getting to know everyone. That didn't mean to say she wasn't going to get to know anyone. She got to focus more of her energy onto learning. For the meantime, all she was doing was getting training from one of the workers, Neil Bones. He was a senior member and was incredibly knowledgeable in his field so he was great to learn from.

Over the next following months, she was given more and more responsibilities, and she had the sneaking suspicion that she had more work than quite a few of her peers. She was glad that she didn't have to worry about looking for somewhere to live for six months. For the meantime, the Mason family had left their house in her care as they all went travelling overseas for Mr Mason's line of work, who Elizabeth was currently an apprentice under, and, well, Mrs Mason wanted to join her family and had the opportunity with Kelli living with them. So, she had been housesitting for the following months, with Lauren visiting quite often and, if Kelli was going to be honest, keeping her sane with those visits.

When the family had gotten back, she had actually progressed quite a bit in her Department.Her job had involved some travelling, however, nothing that would have left their home empty for more than a few days. Which they were okay with, knowing that her job did involve quite a bit of travelling. To be frankly honest, Kelli was sure that they wouldn't have minded if she was simply not at the house at all, they had just wanted to make sure that she had somewhere to go. The Mason family were good people.

Kelli had lived quite frugally while in their home, having money was something she wasn't used to so she really only used it on the essentials. And the great thing about being a witch was that she didn't need to purchase furniture unless she wanted it to be enchanted. So, she had saved enough to get property.

Elizabeth and Lauren had decided to assist her until Lauren had an opportunity to learn under a notable Seer who had frequented the shop where she worked. So, with much love, Kelli and Elizabeth had sent her off for her adventure. Kelli's intention was to purchase somewhere and move out of Elizabeth's family home, however, Elizabeth was having none of that and made sure that Kelli was looking for places that she'd like. It was a little annoying in the beginning, because Kelli really didn't want to impose on them, however, they'd expressed that they'd rather her not settle for less when they were more than happy to have Kelli live with them for longer.

Eventually, after she got a few more opinions on what she should do, Bones had suggested maybe she purchase land and design the house as she'd like because nowhere was quite right. Doing so would be more expensive in the long run, but she wasn't finding anything that fit her needs and tastes that wasn't kind of weird or complicated.

With the Mason family back, Kelli had more opportunities that let her travel more, and for longer. She didn't do much personal hosting for diplomats for other countries. The closest she had was when she was shadowing Bones for a day while he was an assistant. But while they were back, she had been able to pick up more responsibilities that involved much more travelling. Which was why she had really wanted a job with the Department of International Magical Cooperation.

There were brilliant wizards and witches of several countries she got to meet, and occasional visits to historical sites. That's what she had wanted to do ever since discovering that she wasn't in a dream, and was actually there. She loved magic.

She'd progressed quite a bit. When her training was over, she was very much in the groove of everything. The paperwork did, very often, get pretty boring. There was only so much Kelli could read the same thing several times and come up with different interpretations of how they could either halt or accomodate behaviours from other countries and such.

As much as she'd have liked to do more events, she knew that everyone else also preferred events over sitting in a room staring at rolls and rolls of parchment, reading and rewriting regulations, depending entirely on reports. They'd been given tasks to research and she had gotten pretty much everything about youths. It was in that time that she proposed having the Trace. It wasn't necessarily rare that kids were sent home from Hogwarts over the holidays and then show off magic to their friends and such.

It was probably her biggest project that she was lead on. Because she, and the people in her team, had to figure out how it would work and what the rules around it would be, this took them a good few months. It was quite a feature, considering that Kelli wasn't even twenty when she started the project. It was implimented successfully, though, not without complaint. Quite a few complaints had came in, however her Department Chief, Ibran Nibia, hadn't really passed those on to her, because at the end of the day, he's the one who accepted it to go onwards.

And because of the promotion she had gotten after that, she had been able to purchase some secluded property in a forest and get started on building, which was starting off as a little cottage off to the side of the land. She didn't need much space at the moment.