Snow White's Story 🧡💜

In this story, Jack is 9 years old, and Vil is 11

Light spilled down from the library's tall windows, streaming gently onto the soft face of a young boy who sat upon the library's couch, giving his skin a golden glint and shining off his white hair. He sat with a smile over his lips, pleasantly reading a new novel--one that was filled with beautiful pictures to bring him much delight.

Suddenly, the young boy caught sight of a familiar boy entering into the library. "Vil...!" he whispered, excited to see his older friend of whom he always looked up to.

Afraid of being too noisy, he waved his hand in the direction of his friend a couple times until he had gotten his attention, and he smiled gleefully as the boy with shining blond hair made his way over to him.

"Hello, Jack," Vil said with a small smile as he nodded to him politely, "What are you doing?"

"I'm reading a new book that my mom gave to me. She said that it used to be one of her favorites," Jack proclaimed, "Would you like to see it?"

"Of course," Vil answered before moving to sit beside the younger boy, his posture as stylish as ever, "What book is it?"

Jack swiftly closed the pages to allow his friend to take a look at it, smiling up at him with eager anticipation.

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs..." Vil read the title aloud off the cover just before an enthusiastic grin spread over his lips, "I know this one! It's also one of my favorites, but... there's a different version that I like better," he then stood up from the couch and turned to face Jack, saying, "I'm going to go look for it, okay? I really want to show it to you."

Jack nodded his head in response as Vil walked gracefully toward the library's bookshelves. He waited patiently for his friend to return, flipping through some of the beautiful and colorful pictures of his small novel.

It didn't take long for Vil to find the book he was looking for. He knew its exact location, as it was one of which he would often reach for whenever he didn't know of what else to read.

When he returned, Vil seated himself once more beside Jack on the couch, and he held the book he so adored in front of the two of them, displaying it to his younger friend with pride. The cover of the book was dark purple with a lavender title written in fancy, cursive letters that Jack was unable to read. Vil opened the cover, and on the inside page, there was a portrait of a very beautiful and refined young lady.

Jack gasped in delight, for he immediately recognized the face. "That's the Evil Queen from the story!"

"Yes, Jack, it is!" Vil said with an approving smile, "This book is all about her, and it's my most favorite book. She was such a wonderful Queen! She was so beautiful and fairer than anyone else. She was the fairest of all. And she was very smart, too. She knew all about alchemy, and potions, and poisons, and disguises. She was amazing!"

Vil flipped to a page that showed the queen with her head unveiled and her long hair framing her face and figure. "This is my favorite picture of her..." Vil sighed with complete admiration, "She looks gorgeous. But, I know why she kept herself covered. It was to protect her skin and her hair from the sun or anything else that might damage it. She was always thinking of how to be more and more beautiful."

Jack's smile slowly fell away until he was left frowning in dismay, surprised to see his friend idolize such a wicked character. "But, Vil..." he spoke up, "She poisoned the princess, didn't she? She did it because she was jealous that the princess was prettier. Being jealous is really, really bad..." Jack looked down at both the books, averting his gaze eyes from Vil's, as he was afraid to be defying the friend of whom he looked up to so much.

"Yes, Jack, that's true," Vil said to him, as if he was a teacher instructing a misinformed student, "but jealousy is a very normal thing. It's understandable. And, that the queen was even able to poison the princess is wonderful! She disguised herself so well, and she made so many potions that are very hard to create because she was so smart. The princess wasn't smart. Snow White still ate the apple when she should have known better, and she was never able to create good potions like this. She was very weak, and the queen deserved to be the fairest one of all."

Jack's face only darkened at those words, his eyes growing sad. He had loved the princess Snow White for the kindness she showed to all the animals and to the little men, and even to the queen's hunter who almost killed her. He didn't think she was weak at all, yet Vil was telling him that she was... and he was older, so certainly, he knew what was better...

Right...?

"Oh..." Vil let out a low hum as he gazed out the window with disappointment. "I really have to go now, Jack. I'm sorry. But, here!" he gave the younger boy a wide smile as he placed the praised book in his lap, "Why don't you read this for now? I think you'll really like it."

After exchanging goodbyes and watching as his older friend gracefully departed from the library, Jack let out a sigh. He was so confused... He was surprised to find Vil infatuated with the evil queen, and he didn't know what to think of the story anymore. He picked up the book that his mother had given him and looked down at a picture of the sleeping princess who lie in her glass casket, all adorned with flowers that he imagined would have the most gorgeous fragrance. He felt so sorry for Snow White, and he didn't want to believe that she was weak or not smart, or that she deserved to be poisoned.

He closed the book with a sorrowful breath after giving the beautiful princess a final glance, and he reached for the one that Vil had left him, beginning to read it from chapter one.