The moment he touched the scroll with his fingertips, it suddenly brightened. The painting rippled, as if the surface was made out of water. It sucked on his fingertips and began to drag him in.

Although Meng Yun looked pale, he didn’t find this weird at all. He was like a half-awake traveler who’d stepped into the mud without realizing it. His eyes took on an obsessive glint. “Qingqing looks so beautiful...I’ll paint Qingqing’s eyebrows for her…”

Madam Meng’s hands dropped away, but the scroll didn’t fall. It floated in front of them and continued to swallow Meng Yun’s arm, now up to his elbow.

Madam Meng gazed at Meng Yun, who was focused only on the painting. Her eyes were slightly wet and despair floated within their watery depths. After a moment, she finally lifted her hand toward the painting.

Just as she was about to touch the scroll, a sword slashed out in a formidable manner, ripping the scroll right in the middle—and promptly divided Meng Yun and Madam Meng in the painting.

The brilliant light that illuminated out from within the scroll abruptly disappeared. Calmness settled in and the scroll dropped to the floor.

Madam Meng's expression changed drastically, and she yelled, "Who?!"

The scroll painting spit out Meng Yun's arm, even as an invisible force threw Meng Yun backward and he nearly slammed into the pavilion.

Meng Yun awakened, but he had no time to be surprised. He saw Madam Meng’s face turn pale in an instant. Even with the rouge on her cheeks, she looked wan and sallow. Her lips parted and suddenly, blood sprayed out!

“Qingqing!” Meng Yun was stunned. He’d staggered two steps away from Madam Meng but, suddenly seeing her vomit blood, he froze. Then, before he could think more about it, he immediately went to hold her up. “What's wrong with you?

“She wants to kill you!"

Shen Zhixian flew forward. He grabbed Meng Yun’s sleeves and flung him backward. With his eyes trained on Madam Meng, he pointed his sword at her. “Madam Meng had done countless harm to many spiritual beings. You’ve stolen so many in the past few years. Are you satisfied?”

Meng Yun was shaken hard by him, which made him a little dizzy. He turned slightly and saw Yan Jin. The moment he saw their appearance, he became shocked and doubtful. "How did you come in? What are you doing?"

He saw the blood on Madam Meng's lips, became anxious, and rushed toward her again. Shen Zhixian commanded, "Stop him."

Yan Jin stretched out his sword. Although he did not pull the sword out of the sheath, Meng Yun panicked and stopped.

When the scroll fell to the floor, it overturned the flask of wine and the small stove used for warming wine. The still burning charcoal spilled out as the stove was overturned. The half of the painting with Meng Yun on it was already soaked by the overturned wine. So, when the charcoal fell on it, it instantly burst into flames.

Under the light of the fire, Madam Meng’s face became even paler. She stared as the painted Meng Yun disappearing under the flames. Tears welled up from the bottom of her eyes and spilled over down her cheeks.

“Over, it’s over…” She choked, holding her hand out toward the painting. She wanted to rescue the painting but she had no more energy left. Before her fingertips even got close to the painting, a small spark popped and splashed onto the back of her hand, burning her fair skin.

In tears, she looked desperately towards Meng Yun, and when she opened her mouth, her voice became a melodious songbird trill. “Trace the eyebrows and insert the hairpin, as the two lovers promised to stay true...Husband, ah…”