Charlotte's POV

Pretty much all this week I've been trying to distract myself from anything having deal with Henry. Captain Man doesn't know what's going between us but he knows that we're not the best of friends right now. So, he let us have our space at work while still getting the job done. But the more I'm away from him, the more miserable I am.

Anyways, it's Friday and I'm ready to go to the fair with my friend Justice. She said that she has a surprise for me. I can't wait.

But, I have to go to school first. Henry seems pretty fine in school without me. But you never know, he could having trouble with his homework, since we don't study together anymore. I just need to get my mind off of him. Let's just get in this hell hole and get out so I can have fun afterwards.

(During social studies class)

"Okay kids, we're going work on projects next week. So you all are going to have a partner. I'm going to pick them to get you out of your comfort zone," Mrs. Morton says.

Shit. I hope I get partnered up with Samantha or Ashley. They are the smartest people in the class. Besides me, of course.

"First group. Ashley Barker and Ross Hamilton."

That's okay. Samantha is smarter than Ashley anyways. Fingers crossed.

"Second group. Gerald Jones and...."

Come on please don't be her.

"...Samantha Pearson!"

"GODDAMMIT!" I accidentally shout.

"Excuse me Charlotte. What was that?" Mrs. Morton asks.

"I said Gosh Darn It because I dropped my pencil," I say nervously.

"That's what I thought you said," she says knowing that I didn't say that.

That's why I like Mrs. Morton. She doesn't care what you say or do. As long as you don't get caught by her or have a good excuse she's cool. Besides that, I'm out of options now. Unless I partner up with Dustin. He's pretty smart but I kinda think I wouldn't be able to work with him. He is the one of the hottest guys in class. I'd probably make a fool out of myself in front of him.

"Third group. Charlotte Reese and...."

Please be someone besides Dustin.

"...Henry Hart!"

Why? Why god? Can you just shoot me in the head instead? I'm not ready to deal with him now. And I'm sure that feeling is mutual. The rest of the groups are called and I get in my group with Henry. There's a awkward silence between us for a while. Then, Henry starts to talking about our project.

"Okay. Our topic should be about the Revolutionary War," Henry starts.

"I think not. Our topic should be about the Civil War," I proclaim.

"That's the dumbest thing I've..."

"Are you serious? That is an important part of American history. What are you? A racist?" I snap.

"No I'm not a racist. You of all people should know that. Why would a racist white guy like a black girl? Makes no sense. Right?" he snaps back.

"Yeah whatever."

"Whatever what?" he asks furiously.

"See. No compromise. It's either your way or the highway. And you need to stop being so mad all the time," I say.

"I'm only mad around you because you're such a...(sighs) Fine. Let's just get through this," he says calming down and giving me a smile.

"So we're doing the Civil War."