Chapter 11 : Show time

Depuis le début

"Okay then. Appreciate it Onyankopon", Levi said shaking his hand.

"It's the least I could Mr Ackerman", the man called Onyankopon replied returning the handshake.

"Hey Coach do you know him?", Eren asked in the locker room designated to their team.

"Let's just say, he's a good friend of mine", Levi replied.

"Wow, didn't know you had friends", Connie muttered earning a slap on the head from Jean.

"I don't have anything to say to you", Levi began, "I don't care if you lose just don't do it half-assedly!!", he stated.

"Yes sir", they all shouted.

20 minutes later

"Eren!", Connie passed,

"Yep" and Eren made a dunk over the opposing team.

"Nice pass Connie", Eren gave Connie a high-five and ran back to his position.

Number eleven from the opposing team passed to Number thirteen on his right. He ran forward with the ball going around Connie and reached the basket. As he was about to dunk, Reiner jumped blocking him and passed the ball to Armin who gave a back pass to Bertholdt. He shot a clean three through the basket and ran back.

"Just like I've heard they really are good", Onyankopon said.

"Heard from Erwin I suppose", Levi replied boringly.

"Yeah, he really is a sneaky one", Onyankopon cracked his neck, "This team though. I'm sure you've noticed, some of them are not exactly ordinary ".

"You don't say", Levi replied with his arms crossed.

Armin's team was leading with 25 points leaving no room for the opposing team to close the gap. The team's focus coupled with Armin's intelligence enabled them to continuously keep the gap wide. The opposing team were perplexed at their skills but still kept going, giving it their all.

The first ten minutes were up.

"You brats aren't done yet", Levi said, "Springer and Arlert switch with Kirstein and Ryder. The rest of you keep going".

Armin and Connie came back, slapped hands with Finn and Jean and took their place on the bench.

"Nice game you guys", Marco said handing them a towel each.

"Thanks", they replied.

The game continued.

Eren received a pass from Jean and dunked it over the opposing team's captain.

"Tch", Eren and Jean told each other.

The number twelve of the opposing team gave a pass to number fourteen who tried to go around Bertholdt but failed making him give a pass to number thirteen who shot a three into the basket.

Score 28 - 52, Armin thought, We can keep this up. We just need to stay on the right track.

The ball was now in Finn's possession.

"Let's do this", he blitzed past them leaving no time to react at all.

"Damn it! he's fast", the captain said.

He dribbled past the defender and as the point guard jumped to block him he twisted his body in the air, maneuvering around the point guard and dunking the ball into the net.

"W-what the hell?"

"H-he took on four of us alone", the captain said.

Meanwhile, Finn looked down at his hand with a bored expression clenching and opening it lazily. "This is a hassle", he spoke to himself and jogged back to his team.

"Nice one", Eren told him but didn't get a reply back making him stop in his tracks with confusion written on his face.

"Hey coach Levi, Don't you think that something's the matter with Finn?", Armin asked.

"Ahh and what could that be?", A deep voice was heard from behind.

"Finally made it huh Erwin", Levi replied to the deep voice.

"Yes. Hange had to pick up some things on the way", Erwin spoke, "so far everything is looking good. So what's the matter with Ryder, Arlert".

"A-ah welcome Sir and Mi-I mean Hange", Armin stammered out making Hange giggle, "Well I noticed a change in his demeanor ever since he entered the court like he's bored or angry I'm not so sure", Armin finished.

"Is that so?, Let's watch and see what happens next", Erwin said, "Hange stay here, I want to have a small chat with Onyakopon".

"Yeah yeah. You two go catch up", Hange replied waving him off.

The game proceeded with the score being 30-99. Finn made another shot making the score 30-102. He went back to his position passing the players of the opposing team.

"Don't you understand?", the captains whispered making him pause in his tracks, "You are a monster. There's nothing we can do anymore" .

Finn looked around. The players looked lost, like they've lost their will to fight, their will to play on.

What the hell, Finn thought, Why, why does this always happen. When did I start losing my joy in basketball. It's the same thing that happened in high school. This match... is.. pointless.

"Team member change white!!", The referee shouted.

"Huh, who's leaving", Eren asked.

"It's Finn", Jean exclaimed in surprise.

"Oi Finn what's the big deal", Reiner asked putting a hand on his shoulder,

"It's nothing. I just don't feel like playing anymore", he replied with his bangs blocking his eyes

"C'mon man you can't just leave like that", Eren replied.

"Can you please be quiet", Finn said with a straight face, "My ears are hurting. I will come back when I feel like. I have no interest in playing against those who have lost their will.".

"Shut up man, what's up with that cocky attitude", Eren replied blocking his path, "We're a team and we're supposed to have each others backs".

"I warned you the first time I won't warn you the second time. Move Eren", Finn said with a smile that openly portrayed 'bloodlust' or danger.

"Like hell!"

"That's enough guys", Jean and Reiner pulled them apart, "this isn't the time nor place to do this".

"Yeager, Ryder", the boys stilled at the voice, "Ryder back to bench, Yeager play on", Erwin commanded.

"Bastard", Eren told Finn, "You think you're some hotshot cause you're good then let me tell you something I will beat you and shove your 'the only one who can beat me is me' to the ground Finn Ryder.".

"Great do that", Finn said and walked away.

That day, Armin and Eren saw a side to Finn that they never imagined he could have.

Yo everyone, it's been a while. I know it's been over a month since I last updated and I'm here to say that I am sorry. I've been down and sick for the past month and I was just discharged from the hospital around two weeks ago. For reasons I won't mention what I came down with but I'm back to full(well almost full) health and I'll be updating more frequently as time goes by. Thank you all for reading and waiting and I look forward to seeing you all in the next chapters so stay safe, strong and have a wonderful day👋.