14. leaving old life behind

Start from the beginning

    "Nothing." Jess says nonchalantly.

    "You saw it was me, Jess. Why did you keep on punching?" Dean takes a step closer to Jess.

     Jess shrugs with arms out, "Had momentum."

     "Well I was trying to help you." Dean defends himself.

     "I don't need your help but,"Jess steps closer to Dean, slapping his bicep. Dean glares, "Thanks for the offer."

     And just like that Jess walks away, without another say or another glance. Everleigh stood still and so did everyone else. She wasn't too sure what happened or how it even started but she was pissed off at Jess and Blaze. Interfering with a fight wasn't even a suggestion. She wouldn't know what to do. So she stood frozen in her place.

     That was until Lydia spoke up, "I always imagined Jess and Blaze fight but didn't think it would come true. Damn."

    Everleigh gives a pointed look to Lydia, "Not now, Lydia."

    "I'm just stating the obvious." Lydia shoots her hands up as the other girl marches towards  her boyfriend.

     Before she approaches her boyfriend, she looks at Dean, "Are you okay?"

    "Yeah, I'm fine." Dean says, acknowledging his friend, "I don't know about Blaze."

    She groans and walks up to her boyfriend, his expression softens seeing her, "Eve —"

   "What was that about?" Everleigh interrupts, looking her boyfriend up and down. Making sure there was no injuries from the incident. She hears footsteps trail behind her and as she glances up she sees Dean step next to her.

    "Yeah, man, what was that about?" Dean asks, their attention to Blaze.

    "He..." Blaze's eyes linger on Everleigh longer than it should and she arches her brow waiting for him to carry on. Then they fell on Dean and he couldn't find any words, "He is a jerk." Blaze settles for that.

    "From my point of view it seemed as if you started it," Everleigh admits.

     Confuses laces her boyfriend's features, "Yeah but you don't know why."

     "Do I wanna know?" The girl pushes further.

    Lydia intertwines, rising a pointed finger, "I wanna know."

    Lydia's comment goes unnoticed as Dean interjects, noticing more tension raising, "Okay, let's just chill out. It doesn't really matter why or who started the fight. There's people around us."

    In that moment, Everleigh realised students were still lingering around and whispering among themselves. Focus on the group and she really didn't have the energy to entertain everyone right now.

    "Dean's right. You, especially, need to calm down," Everleigh directs the comment towards her boyfriend as she grabs his hand, intertwining their fingers. "Let's just all go back to my place and order some food. I'm starving."

    "I'm fine." Was Blaze's only response. His tight hold onto her hand, told otherwise.

    "Whatever you say, Rocky."