73 || The Parchment

Start from the beginning

Chris was still and silent for many passing moments. He stared hazily at his little sister as though he wasn't really seeing her, then, after at least thirty seconds, he shook his head snappily.

"So, what are you going to do?" Chris asked.

Katie shrugged. "Touch a crap ton of objects until one of them gives me another vision that tells me where Leo is."

Hermione sighed. "Yes, but, the visions induced by objects are memories, aren't they?" she said. "They're not like your dreams."

Feeling dismal now, her heart clenching slightly, Katie let out a deep sigh that was very similar to Hermione's and nodded depressingly.

"Yeah," she mumbled. "Yeah, that's true."

***

𝐿𝑜𝓃𝑔 𝒽𝒶𝓁𝓁...
𝒩𝑜 𝓁𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉...
𝒟𝑜𝑜𝓇...
𝒟𝑜𝑜𝓇...
𝒩𝑜 𝓁𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉...
𝐻𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎...
𝐵𝒾𝑔 𝓇𝑜𝑜𝓂...
𝐵𝓁𝓊𝑒 𝓁𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉...
𝐿𝑜𝓉𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝒷𝓁𝓊𝑒 𝓁𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉...
𝐿𝑒𝑜...
𝒟𝑒𝒶𝓉𝒽 𝐸𝒶𝓉𝑒𝓇...
𝐻𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎...
𝐻𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎...
𝐻𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎...

Katie scribbled these words over and over on a roll of parchment, recounting everything from her dream with hopes of finding some clue that would point her in the direction of Leo's whereabouts. She desperately scoped the deep caverns of her mind, tearing away at every memory she could fathom, and she found herself scribbling words that were linked to the previous dreams she had.

𝒞𝓁𝑜𝒶𝓀𝑒𝒹 𝒻𝒾𝑔𝓊𝓇𝑒...
𝐼𝒸𝓎 𝓋𝑜𝒾𝒸𝑒...
𝐻𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎...
𝐻𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎...
𝒞𝓁𝑜𝒶𝓀𝑒𝒹 𝒻𝒾𝑔𝓊𝓇𝑒...
𝒮𝒽𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒...
𝒮𝒽𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒...
𝒮𝒽𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒...
𝒮𝒽𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒...

With a jolt of violent apprehension, Katie gasped, threw down her quill, and leapt out of her seat. She had not consciously written the words 'she will rise', she just found her quill moving smoothly across the parchment, as though she had been possessed or was in some kind of trance.

Next to her, Draco, who had been deeply indulged in his Arithmancy homework, looked up. His eyes trailed between Katie, who was shaking with alarm, and the parchment with the long list of words blotchily scribbled onto it.

"You OK?" he asked uneasily.

Katie nodded sharply and gulped thickly. Her hands were still trembling tremendously, which, of course, Draco noticed. He reached out for the piece of parchment. Panicking, Katie tried to snatch it from his grasp, but he hitched it away from her and began reading, his eyes widening fearfully as they scanned every word.

"Merlin's Beard, Blair, I—" he breathed. "What is this?"

Heart beating wildly now, Katie seized the piece of parchment and, with one last, frightful glance at Draco, raced from the common room.

She left the dungeons, ran through the huge oak doors in the Entrance Hall and tore across the frozen lawns. It was quite the task to run through two feet of heavy snow, and she could feel her robes soaking right through to her skin. She only stopped running when she reached the shore of the Lake, the black water of which had been encrusted in a layer of thick, ice that shimmered in the light of the winter sun. As it was not yet nightfall, some students were still out skating on the ice, their joyous laughter echoing through the otherwise deserted ground of Hogwarts.