Fantasy AU (Princes)

So this is the rumored orchard everyone has been telling me about.

Growing up, he had always been told of a certain cherry orchard near their kingdom. Dozens of princes and princesses, not to mention the hundreds of common travelers, had gone missing after traveling to the orchard in search of its beauty. Not many people had ever returned from the orchard, but the few who did told stories of the enormous cherry trees. Supposedly, the trees bloomed all year long, although their pink petals are most beautiful in the Summer and Spring when they begin to bear fruits. Although not much of a selection, the cherries that come from those trees are described as having a flavor unlike anything ever grown from the earth.

Of course, Jotaro knew they must be simple rumors, tall tales, children's stories. There must have been other explainable reasons for the disappearances. Regardless of whether he believed the stories or not though, he was never allowed to venture into the nearby forests alone. That was, until he was asked for a favor by a friend of his mother.

"My son, my little Noriaki, was out traveling with a few companions in the Cachuma forest a little over a month ago. We believe that he may have been looking for something when he lost his way on the path and, well, we aren't exactly sure where he may have been going or ended up" the woman explained tearfully.

Jotaro's mother, Holy, compassionately wrapped her arms around the woman as tears began to slip beneath her eyes. As the woman accepted a handkerchief offered to her by Holy, Jotaro pondered the strange occurrence. He knew that her son was the same age as himself, so he could only assume they must not be too different in terms of how they think. If that was the case, he asked himself for what reason a young prince would wander into the woods, especially an area as dangerous as the one mentioned.

Suddenly, Jotaro realized something.

"Say...did your son have any particular fascination with the story of Cachuma Forest's cherry orchard?"

"A cherry orchard?" The woman asked, seeming rather surprised. "No, I've never heard of such a thing...Noriaki has always loved cherries though, ever since he was a child. Do you believe he could have heard such a story and gone looking for it?"

"Perhaps...I do not take him for a fool, but he may not have been aware of how dangerous it is. If you wish, I may be able to retrieve him" Jotaro offered.

"Jotaro, I just knew you'd be able to help" Holy said with a smile. "I'll go get the horse keepers, they'll accompany you."

"No, I wish to go alone" Jotaro interrupted. Seeing Holly's surprise, he continued. "I know I just recently turned 17, but I believe this is an opportunity to show how much I have grown. Aside, as a prince, it's my duty to protect, not endanger those around me, which is why I must go alone."

"Ahh, my Jotaro, what a noble young man you've grown to be" Holy cried, grabbing onto Jotaro's arm dramatically.

"Get a hold of yourself, woman" Jotaro scolded irritatingly. Even after such noble talk, he couldn't help but return to his old ways.

Once a supply bag and horse were prepared and ready for him, Jotaro set off into the forest. It took around half a day for him to begin to see what appeared to be a sea of pink, flowering cherry trees. The sun was already setting, yet the orchard seemed to glow with color. Within the hour, Jotaro arrived at the edge of the orchard.

As soon as he was within a few yards of the trees, he was met with the pleasantly fresh aroma of flowers and a familiar earthy scent. Strangely, his horse seemed hesitant to enter. After a brief struggle to control the animal and make it move forward, Jotaro dismounted and tied it to an oak tree nearby. Slinging his bag over his shoulder, he continued into the woods by himself.