𝐎𝐧𝐞

A month.

That's how long it had been since the dream.

Since that day, the two boys would always hang out on weekends and after school. On the day Mark asked Donghyuck to be his boyfriend, they agreed to keep their relationship quiet, with Hyuck only telling Jaemin and Chenle, and Mark telling nobody. It was cute and peaceful, entirely them. They had built a trust for one and other, replacing the walls that had previously blocked everyone out. But that was all going to waste as they stood in the school corridor.

"Mark, w-what do you wa-"

"What? What do you want? I told you to back off, okay. I'll talk to you about the assignment later. I'm tired so just leave me alone alright" Mark sighed, his tone forced and laced with frustration as he spoke louder than he had intended. He stepped away from the younger before turning to see him frozen in front of him.

For a lot of people, this was a first for several reasons. For the kids that surrounded them, they had never seen these two boys together, most assumed for good reason as they had never seen the kindhearted and popular boy act, well, not so kindly. And for Hyuck, he had never seen Mark be anything but kind and considerate, and he was always so cautious around the younger.

Hyuck tried to say something, anything, he wanted to raise his voice in return but he couldn't. All he had wanted to ask was what Mark wanted to do about the History assignment they were just paired up for--since the last time they had done such a good job together--but I guess he knew the answer now anyway.

As he stood there, he felt his heart drop and his throat clench. The busy halls were loud enough, but mixed with Marks shouting, it sent him over the edge. His head rang, even as the hall became silent. He watched as Mark's face dropped as he realised what he had done as well as their surroundings.

Mark watched as a tear rolled down Hyuck's cheek, glistening in the reflection of the lights, his skin paler than when he was ill once. He looked worse than the first day he really noticed the boy, the cuts and bruises that were scattered across his face.

Just as Mark was about to speak up and apologise, the younger boy turned on his heels and darted down the hall, not caring as he pushed passed the people who stood in the way. He was about to step forward, follow the boy who slowly disappeared through the crowd of people when an all too familiar voice echoed down the hall.

"Hey, Mark!" His voice called, louder than all the humming that had started up again. Mark turned to spot Lucas towering over half the students, a few friends following him closely. "Mark, are you joining us for lunch today? Or do you have something better to do?" He asked, placing his arm over Mark's shoulder, nodding in the direction that Hyuck had run.

Mark turned to glance in that same direction, noticing that the younger had now completely disappeared through the crowd and was now nowhere to be seen. "Why would i have anything better to do?" Mark asked, doing his best to give a convincing smile. But it was hard to do so when he had just watched the source of that genuine smile run in the opposite direction because of him.

×××

Hyuck continued to push through the groups of people, the tears continued to stream down his cheeks creating a shimmer. What he hadn't noticed was that he had barged past his friends who were walking towards where he had just been with Mark-- since Jaemin had gone to find Chenle--, paying no attention to how they called after him, concerned by his actions as he disappeared further down the corridor. Once they had admitted they weren't going to get a response, they decided to follow him.

Hyuck finally stopped to catch his breath when he found a corridor that was much quieter, a few people scattered along the sides as they put things in their lockers before heading to lunch. He slowly lowered himself to the floor, trying to breathe as he hiccuped through the tears.