Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I kept waiting to hit the ground and but I never did. I just kept falling. It took me about two minutes before I realized that I wasn't in a tube. It was very open, not like a vent should be. I felt the breath rush out of me when I fell onto something warm and furry. But I knew I was still moving. As if I was flying. 

I  yelped and squirmed, trying to get off of whatever I was on. Then I heard a soothing voice, "It will be easier on both of us if you stop moving."

I looked around trying to figure out where the voice came from, until I realized that the furry thing I was on had said it. My mind was moving unusually slow because I had just now realized that one, the thing had ears two, that I was riding the thing. 

I instantly jumped in fright and fell back into the black abyss. I let out a scream as I tumbled and rolled. I had no idea where I was or how this was possible but I just wanted away from whatever talked to me. I felt myself getting caught again but my body was falling head first and the last thing I felt was my head hitting what felt like a wing before I blacked out.

I woke startled when I felt someone trying to pick me up. I looked up to see a very attractive boy who looked strangely familiar even though he had purple eyes and pasty white skin. I was pretty positive that I had not seen anyone like that. He looked at me with happiness as if he knew me and whispered something that I couldn't quite hear. My ears were ringing and soon I blacked out again.

It didn't seem long before I woke up again and I was seemingly in the same place. I heard a very strange scratching sound and metal clanging around. I opened my eyes and immediately wished that I hadn't.

There were at least seven huge rats fighting with more purple-eyed and pale people. Sadly, it looked as if the rats were winning. I looked directly in front of me and saw a very large bat standing in front of me with its wings spread out 

"You are safe now. Please dont be of alarm." I opened my eyes to see an old pale man with purple eyes looking at me.  I jumped back, waiting for the hell I was in to stop. But it never did.

"Is she okay?" I heard a small voice ask. I looked behind the frail man to see a little girl with the same purple eyes and pale skin hiding behind him. He ignored her question and held out his hand to help me down from the furry thing I was still sitting on. I carefully took it and slid off.  I turned around to look at the creature and saw that it was a huge bat. It was all black with one white stripe from the tip of its nose to its butt.

"My name is Nike, madam." The bat said. "I'm sorry if I scared you but I had to in order to save your life."

"You-you saved my life?" I asked.

"Yes, she did. If she hadn't have caught you, you would be as flat as a... what do you say up there? Cakepan? No that's not right." The old man said.

"Pancake?" I offered.

"Yes! That's what is was thinking of."  he said smiling. He seemed kind enough. He looked something like my dad. Aside from the pale skin and purple eyes. "Oh where are my manners? My name is Vikus and I will help you from here on out until my grand daughter, Luxa can come see you. But for now, you need to wash the Overland smell off of you. Follow me." he said turning and walking into the building with the little girl holding his hand.

I turned and thanked Nike before I followed Vikus into the castle. He led me through many halls and stairwells until we came to a room with thick steam flowing out of it. "They will help you for awhile. I will come back to get you for dinner." Vikus told me with a smile before continuing on through the palace. I faced the two women outside the doors. They greeted me and ushered me inside.