Chapter 1

"Peyt, you need to be getting ready! Just because it's raining, doesn't mean you don't have to go to school!" I yelled to my fellow foster sibling. We had been together for about six months and she was very attached to me.

"But I don't wanna!" she whined to me, coming out of her room still in her footy pajamas. She was little for her age but already beautiful. She had pale blue eyes and deep black hair which was straight down her back. I never understood why anyone would give her up.

I rolled my eyes and playfully ran after her. She went back in her room squealing and laughing. I finally got her dressed and ready when I heard a knock at the door. There was a lady three doors down in our apartment complex that helped out our foster parents, Shelby and Toby. They traveled a lot and left a lot to just me. I took Peyton to the door while I grabbed her lunch and a Pop-Tart for breakfast that she could eat on the way. I know, not the ideal breakfast but it was the best we have.

I opened the door to find the lovely Mrs. Friedmen. She was a retired, spunky and snappy sixty year old. Whenever we went to her apartment, we always left with another interesting story and overfilled bellies. And occasionally a few new pairs of clothes.

She greeted me with a basket of clothes that she expected to get done and a hug before she took Peyton to school. I set the basket by the door and went to my room to get dressed. I looked in my limited closet and dressed in a usual appearance for me that was a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt. I put on my tennis shoes that Mrs. Friedmen gave to me last week. I walked to my mirror and ripped a brush through my wavy blonde hair. I didn't bother with any makeup because I simply didn't have any.

I grabbed my keys and went down to the laundry room with the basket. There were a few other people in there so I went to the very back corner. I put the clothes in along with the soap and loaded the washer up with the quarters I had. As I put the last quarter in, it fell and rolled right in front of a half way open vent. As I went to pick up the quarter, a washer across the room beeped really loud. It made me jump and when I did, I fell into the vent. I tumbled and rolled waiting to hit the basement floor.

But I never did.