Code Name: Cozy

John POV
    I slowly crept Jaren's office door open to see his LED lights set to purple dimly lighting his surroundings. His monitors screens lit up his face. Deep into editing, I had a feeling he didn't know I entered the room. Now my main mission had a mini mission: Do not scare the absolute shit out of J.
    I tried to gradually make my foot steps louder to make my presence known, but it didn't work. I ghosted my hand above his shoulder and lightly placed it down. He jumped, dammit.
    "JoHn, fuck you!" he sat there with his face grumpy, looking up at me.
    I giggled but quickly stopped, "I'm sorry, it's worth it, I promise." I took his hand and he followed me out the door I came in from. I led him to the living room where I had set out blankets and pillows. "Surprise! We are gonna make a pillow fort."
    "John, it's 2 in the morning."
    "So? You are wide awake," I lifted his chin up to look at me. "You deserve a break from editing." I pressed a kiss to his nose and he complied. "Babe, how about you go get your PJs on while I get more things set up, okay?"
    "Okay," he nodded quick and then went upstairs. I turned the opposite direction towards the kitchen to set out some hot chocolate packets and mugs.
    He padded down the steps shortly after I got done moving the two couches, backs facing each other and two of the dining room chairs, the same as the couches but perpendicular. He was wearing one of my old crew necks with light blue pajama shorts underneath, they had a simple pastel balloon pattern on them. He never fails to be adorable.
    "I thought these would be a nice touch," Jaren stretched his arms out presenting fairy lights and an extension cord.
    "Smart idea lovely." He smiled at my compliment and set the cords on one of the couches. Time to build.
    Okay, let me give a run down. First we placed a comforter on the floor with a couple pillows and blankets scattered around. Then, we clipped two large sheets together to drape over the top, covering the couches and chairs. J played electrician, putting the fairy lights around the perimeter of our fort while I secured the sheeted roof in place. The only thing lighting up the area was the fairy lights. When Jaren went to get our Nintendo Switches I prepared the hot chocolate and sat inside our sleeping quarters for tonight. I set our drinks on the in-table inside.
    A Smii7y plush peeked in and then the real Smii7y followed, "Ooh! Hot choco!" We sat at our miniature table while playing Minecraft and drinking our hot beverages for a bit.
    Soon 4 o'clocked rolled around. "Hey bub, I think we should schleep," I suggested.
    "Otay, we go schleep," I chuckled at his voice that he put on. "Can we keep one set of lights on?" He asked looking up through his messy brown curls.
    "Sure thing baby," I gave him a reassuring smile. I don't enjoy the dark too much either. He exited the fort to unplug the lights and I set up our makeshift bed to suit our needs. Jaren then soon joined me under the covers, his head laying on my bare chest, and his legs wrapped around my plaid pajama covered ones. He shifted to look up at me. The yellow glow of the lights brought out the honey undertones of his eyes, his freckles dotted his nose and parts of his cheeks. "What's going through your pretty little mind?"
    "You."
    "Hey, I'm supposed to be the one bringing the cheesiness tonight!" He giggled at my dumb remark.
    We sat in silence for awhile with me playing with his hair. I could see his eyes darting about, looking at every part of my face. It took a long time to get used to someone starring at my insecurities for long periods of time, but after living with him for sometime, I've learned to put those thoughts aside.
    I could feel the air coming in increments from his nose on my neck. I couldn't help but to think about how much I'm enjoying this moment. I was going to give him praise of how lucky I am to make him blush for the hundredth time tonight, but when I changed my gaze from the cloth ceiling to him, I was too late. He was asleep. With a kiss to his head I closed my eyes to get some sleep. "I love you baby."

"I love you too John."

776 Words