The Knight

Aelix looked at Oltheon, afraid of what was to come. He knew he had told Leana and her mother that he'd be okay, but he didn't know if he believed that himself.

Oltheon was a seasoned fighter, whereas Aelix was only known to guard a Prince. Of course Aelix knew how to handle a rapier, but a blade was different. An actual sword, like the one he held in his hand, was heavier. And Oltheon knew all about this type of fighting. Aelix didn't like to admit it, but he was scared. Frightened, even.

"I knew you were no good, you baseborn knight!" Oltheon said, his face red as a tomato. "I will show you what happens to the likes whom touch my daughter."

"Oltheon, calm down." Aelix said. "Let's talk about this."

"Oh you have something to say, do ye?" Oltheon spat. "Happens me sword is quite the talkative one. Made of conversative metal, I'll have ye know."

"Oltheon, I meant her no harm."

"I care not what ye meant! It's what ye did is what you're going to be dealt for."

Aelix realized there was no way he could win the argument.

With a deep sigh, and a knot in his heart, Aelix raised his sword.

Oltheon walked around Aelix, closer with each step, like a spiral, and when he was at blade's reach, he swung.

Aelix blocked it, easier than he would've thought.

Maybe my skills with a rapier are enough to end this, Aelix thought.

He was proved wrong, for Oltheon swung a rougher strike, and although Aelix blocked this one as well, he lost his footing, and fell back, landing on the floor in a puff of dust.

"Get up, Aelix." Oltheon said. "Show me you are worthy of me daughter."

Aelix indeed stood up, and after getting close to Oltheon, struck.

Aelix held his sword with both hands, but Oltheon needed and had only one, and still he pushed Aelix's sword back as easy as one would push a child back.

Aelix tried again, and again came out unvictorious.

"Oltheon, I don't wish to fight you!" Aelix said, attempting once more to calm this quarrel down.

"Then put your sword down, lad, and allow me to rid yer body of yer head." Oltheon smiled broadly, his face red still.

Aelix didn't respond, and swung again.

This time he put more force into the blow, which stole Oltheon of his balance. As the Sharkbane regained it, however, he swung back, and for a while all that could be heard was the song of steel on steel and the grunts of the two men as they both tried to hack the other one down, Oltheon more intensively than Aelix.

From inside the house, Doriah and Leana heard the swords clashing with pain and concern in their hearts.

Leana, not being able to stand it any longer, ran outside frantically.

Just as she did, Oltheon managed to smash the hilt of his sword into Aelix's face, bringing him once more to falling down, this time blood dripping from his nose and mouth.

Im his falling, Aelix had lost grip of his sword, and it fell about half a meter away from his reach.

Before he could get to it, however, Oltheon stood on top of him, the tip of his sword pointed at Aelix's neck.

"Any last words, lad?"

"I hope she can still love you." Aelix said, and closed his eyes.

Oltheon looked at Aelix and struck.

When Aelix thought he would feel pain, he heard screams instead, one from inside the house, and one right in front of him.

Opening his eyes once more, his heart cracked.

Leana stood before him, between Oltheon and him, and Oltheon's sword poked out from her back, blood running down like mad and staining her white dress violently.

She had her arms spread out, like an angel protecting Aelix.

As she fell down, Aelix could see the realization of his actions in the Sharkbane's eyes, and he could hear the screams and cries from Doriah inside the house.

Angered and saddened and his vision blurry, Aelix clicked the metal button of his vambrace and drew the little knife out.

He stood up, stepped right next to Leana's dead body, and with the anger of a thousand men, he tackled Oltheon.

As they plummeted to the floor, Aelix pushed the knife with all his might into Oltheon's neck, dragging even the handle of the knife into Oltheon's neck.

Oltheon made no sound after falling down, and Aelix, scared and terrified, looked at Leana.

Her eyes were closed, as were Oltheon's. Aelix felt like crying, like screaming, like killing Oltheon over and over again just for the lost of Leana.

Doriah stormed outside and began screaming at Aelix, words that Aelix couldn't make out.

Aelix stood up, and with a final glance at his fallen angel, ran away into the darkness of the bloodstained night.