Chapter 4

I finally found time to update this. I've missed this story and sharing it with you all. Anyway, hope you enjoy the new chapter and sorry it has taken me so long to update. :)

(Nicholas)

 "So tell me is it true?" Lucas asked while we were waiting for the princess, the following morning.

I glanced up from the text message I was reading and looked at him. "Is what true?"

"Are you having an affair with the princess?" Smirking, he held up the newspaper he was reading. There in black and white for everyone to see was a photo of the princess and me. My hands were wrapped around her upper arms and her hands were resting on my chest. It appeared as though we were gazing into each others eyes. The caption read: IS THE PRINCESS HAVING AN AFFAIR WITH HER BODYGUARD?

I rolled my eyes. "Don't they have anything else better to write?"

"Apparently not," Lucas replied dryly. "Are you going to deny it?"

"Don't start with me," I growled. "You and I both know there's nothing going on between the princess and me. Sure that photo looks incriminating, but it was an innocent encounter. The princess was feeling light headed and I was just holding onto her so she wouldn't fall and hurt herself. End of discussion."

"I don't recall the princess feeling light headed," he said, frowning. "When did this happen?"

"Yesterday." I returned my gaze to my cell phone. "You don't recall because you weren't around. Now let it go."

"You two would make a lovely couple," Lucas muttered.

"I have a gun and I am not afraid to use it," I growled. "So unless you want a bullet wound I suggest you shut up."

Just then a loud crash came from the princess' office. My heart skipping a beat I hurried across the corridor and jerked open the door. The princess was standing by her desk, her hands clenched at her sides. A look of rage was on her face. I tore my gaze from her and scanned the room, spotting shards of glass on the floor near the door.

"What happened, Evangeline?" Lucas asked.

"I don't want to talk about it," she snapped.

"Lucas, why don't you go find someone to clean up the glass?" I suggested. "Take your time."

"Alright."

As he left the office I moved toward the princess. Stopping in front of her, I said softly, "Your Highness, take a deep breath and count to ten. If you are still angry then do it again. Do it however many times you need to. When you are calm let me know and we'll talk." I stood there, discreetly watching the large ornate clock on the wall.

"I'm calm now," she said quietly.

It had taken her five minutes to calm herself. "Do you want to tell me what had you so angry you felt you needed to throw a-what did you throw?"

"A figurine." She smiled crookedly. "It felt good, too."

I arched an eyebrow at her. "Do you do this sort of thing often?"

She perched on the corner of her desk. "Only when I am really angry."

"Do you want to tell me why you're angry?" I asked.

"No," the princess answered.

I crossed my arms in front of my chest and shifted my stance. Something told me we were going to be here awhile. "Sometimes it helps to talk about it."