Chapter 1

Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it. I hope you enjoy the new chapter. :)

* * * *

(Evangeline)

Two months later. . .

"Smile, Evangeline," Edward ordered me as his grip tightened on my arm. "You don't want our friends and family to think you're unhappy."

I held back a grimace of pain and forced myself to smile. The urge to bring the heel of my shoe down on his foot came over me. I resisted it for the simple fact that I didn't want to cause a scene. "Kindly take your damn hand off me," I said coolly.

"Now, darling, is that any way to speak to your fiance?"

I turned my head and gazed at him. He looked flawless as usual. His short blond hair was perfect, not a lock out of place, and his chiseled jaw was free of stubble. The dark suit and white dress shirt he wore was immaculate. The sight of him made me want to gag.

"Like what you see?" Edward asked, his hazel eyes sparkling.

"No." I jerked my arm free of his grasp and made my way through the sea of tuxedos and flashy gowns. As I drew near to the exit I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head slightly and saw my father coming toward me. I quickened my pace. In a rush to get away from him I ran into Lucas, who was coming into the ballroom.

"Whoa." He grabbed me by the arms to steady me. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." I gave him a flicker of a smile. "Please excuse me." I slipped around him and into the corridor. Grabbing fistfuls of my skirt and hiking it up so I wouldn't trip on it, I made a run for it.

"Evangeline Althea," my father thundered. "Halt, young lady."

Swearing under my breath, I stopped dead in my tracks and pivoted on my heels. "Yes, Father?"

"Don't yes Father me." He crossed his arms and fixed me with a stare that intimidated most people. I wasn't most people. It didn't work on me. "Come here." I didn't move a muscle. "Evangeline, don't make me come to you."

Slowly, I retraced my steps and stopped in front of him. I leaned my head back and looked up at him. A muscle was twitching in his jaw. He was furious. "Well?"

"What is going on between you and Edward?" he demanded to know. "And don't even think about telling me that nothing is wrong. I saw the way you two were carrying on. Hell, everybody saw the way you two were behaving."

"I hope they enjoyed the show," I said sarcastically.

"Don't get smart with me," Father growled. "I won't stand for it."

"You want to know what's going on between me and the golden prince," I growled back. "Fine, I'll tell you. Hate is what's going on between us. We can't stand each other's guts."

He placed his hands on my shoulders and gazed into my eyes. "Sweetheart, I know it's difficult for you - marrying a man you don't love. When your mother and I married there was no love in our hearts for each other. It grew over time as we got to know each other better."

"I won't grow to love him, Father," I informed him. "Put that thought from your mind because it will never happen."

"Evie," he said softly. "I am-"

"I am going to marry him." The thought of being married to Edward for the rest of my life sent a wave of panic sweeping through me. I took a deep breath and let it out. "I know my duty, Your Royal Majesty. You needn't worry. I will do my best to be a good wife and mother."

"I know you will." Father bent down and kissed me on the forehead. "Your mother would be so proud of you."

I thought of my mother and my heart leapt into my throat. What I wouldn't give to have her here with me now. She always knew what to say to make me feel better. "I miss her," I whispered.

"I miss her too." He squeezed my shoulders gently. "There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of her." He gave me a weak smile. "She is with us always. Now pull yourself together and come back to the party."

The last thing I wanted to do was go back into that crowded room and pretend as though everything was sunshine and roses. "I'll be along shortly."

"Alright." Father kissed me once more and than headed back to the ballroom.

Needing to be alone, I crossed the hallway and slipped into the dark library. At one end of the room was a large window with a padded window seat. I moved toward it, stepping around a group of arm chairs that was located in the center of the room. Sitting down, I adjusted my skirt and glanced out the window.

"Your Highness."

I groaned inwardly. It's been two months since he came to work for me. Two months and the man was still calling me by my title. "What is it, Nicholas?" I asked without looking at him.

"Why are you sitting alone in the dark?"

"Because it's better than a stuffy ballroom full of people." I patted the seat. "Sit, Nicholas, and talk to me."

"What about?" he asked, settling beside me.

"I don't know." I studied him for a moment. "Have you ever been married?"

"No," he answered. "And I don't have a girlfriend either. My job doesn't leave me much time for a relationship."

"I'm sorry," I said, touching his arm. "You're giving up so much to keep me safe."

"I don't see it that way, Your Highness," Nicholas told me. "I chose this lifestyle. It wasn't forced on me."

I gazed out the window again, sighing heavily. "I don't understand why you would want to use yourself as a human shield. You could get shot or worse trying to protect me."

"Better me than you," he said quietly.

"Don't say that," I snapped, glaring at him.

Nicholas cleared his throat. "I'm sorry I upset you, but it's the truth. You're more important than I am. You are the princess of-"

"You listen to me, Nicholas Hopewell," I said through clenched teeth. "You are just as important as I am. Lucas is just as important as I am."

"Not in the eyes of the people," he pointed out.

Biting my lower lip, I shook my head. "I'm only human, but because I was born with a title they treat me like a celebrity. I'm just a person like them. When I get cut I bleed. When someone hurts my feelings I cry. When someone makes me angry-"

"You let them have it," Nicholas said, his voice filled with amusement.

I couldn't help but smile. "Yes."

Before he could say anything Lucas entered the library. "What are you two doing in here?"

"We're hiding," I said, smirking.

"Can I hide with you?" he asked.

I laughed softly and rose to my feet. "No, and I really shouldn't either. I suppose I better join the others." I gazed at my bodyguards. "You two need not suffer along with me. I am perfectly safe with the others. You can go and do your own thing."

"We'll stay with you nonetheless," Nicholas said, standing.

"As you wish." I left the room and reluctantly returned to the ballroom.