Chapter 10

Thirty minutes later, Liam's driving along in his own car with Harry trailing close behind him. The plan is to park Liam's car a little ways from the party, and then go to the actual party in Harry's car. 'It'll be easier to park,' Liam had said, but Harry suspects that what Liam really wanted was to arrive at the party in Harry's red Jaguar. Harry's car had been his present from his parents when he turned seventeen. Before he'd announced to them that he didn't want to attend Cambridge, the alma mater of his father's side of the family, or Oxford University, his mother's alma mater. Or any university, for that matter. Harry's plan had been to take a year off to really see the world outside of his gated community in Redditch, his dorm room at Eton, but his parents were fiercely against it. What if he decided against going to Uni at all? Why couldn't he simply wait until he graduated? But Harry felt extremely restless after being away at Eton for so long. He needed to get out of his house and just go. He hadn't gotten too far yet, though. He'd only made it to his nan's town before running out of money (Harry realized, a little too late, that if you are on the run, you can't buy shots for everyone at the bar table), but his plan was to find a job and save up for his dream trip. But first, he needs to settle in. Preferably at a party with lots of beer.

"Are we gonna go or what?" Liam asks, playfully punching Harry in the shoulder. Harry nods slowly, shaking himself out of a daze. He didn't get to go inside of Liam's house. In fact, he missed Liam even making the transfer from his car to Harry's. Liam sees Harry trying to glance through the window of his house, and he sighs.

"We're gonna be late, mate. I promise that we'll go over to my house later." Harry doesn't know if he really wants to go to Liam's house, or if it's just curiosity, but he nods anyway and pulls out of the driveway.

They get to the party, but not without trouble. Harry is incapable of going anywhere that he isn't absolutely sure of, even under good instruction. It would be an undeserved compliment if Harry were to call Liam's directions good, or even mediocre. Liam had a faint idea of where the place was, based on the fact that he had never bothered to drive there himself before, or ask anyone for directions.

"I've been here tons of times," he kept saying, and Harry was sure he had. But he was also sure that Liam had probably convinced another unlucky boy into being his ride while he chattered along, not bothering to pay attention to the road. Harry had only been around Liam for a day, if you didn't count their childhood friendship, and he already had a pretty good picture of what he was like. It was like this with most people for Harry. It didn't take him very long to figure people out. That was probably the reason why hanging out with Zayn had been so new to him. He had already talked to him a few times, and he still felt like he was in the dark, like he didn't know anything at all. Harry hated not knowing.

"Hazza, you look like someone ran over your dog," Liam says, turning to face Harry. Harry just shrugs and keeps his eyes fixed on the road ahead of them, acting as if he knows where they're going. Liam keeps talking.

"If it's because of the directions thing, I'm really sorry. I'm shit at driving. And walking. And biking. And anything that involves left and/or right turns." Harry smiles at this and lifts his hand off of the wheel for a second to pat Liam on the head. Liam scowls and draws his head away from Harry.

"I didn't ask if someone had run over your dog so that I could be a replacement, you know," he says, faking annoyance. Liam is secretly pleased that he's gotten Harry to smile.

After another fifteen minutes of confusion, the boys arrive at the party. Liam makes a big show of yelling "Land, ho!" and kissing the black tar of the parking lot. Harry wants to point out that they never actually left the land, but he holds back and lets Liam have his moment. The party is at someone's house, and a very large house at that. It sits in the middle of a huge expanse of land, looking elegant and sophisticated. Harry almost feels bad that he's going to get drunk inside of it. Almost.

"Hey, Payno!" someone yells to greet them as they walk into the party. The person steps into view, and Harry gets a good look at him. He's blond and of average height, with crooked teeth and a wide, mischievous smile. His eyes sparkle blue in the low light as he turns to address Harry.

"And who are you?" he asks, quirking a single, dark eyebrow at Harry. From behind Harry, Liam rolls his eyes.

"Harry, this leprechaun here is my best mate, Niall." As he says it, he looks kind of sheepish, as if he's sorry that Harry isn't his best mate anymore. Harry hopes he knows that it doesn't bother him at all. What was Liam supposed to do, wait for him?

"Good to meet you," Niall says, throwing a wink Harry's way. Is he flirting with him? Harry hopes not, because he has no room for awkward today. He soon finds that he has nothing to fear because, suddenly, a familiar looking face pops up next to Niall. It's Brynn, and she's wrapping herself around Niall and kissing him on the lips.

"Hey Ni," she says, nuzzling herself into his neck, "Zayn said he'd bring your drink around for you." Harry's eyes widen when he hears her say Zayn. He thinks he might be imagining it, but sure enough Zayn is advancing toward them with two drinks in his hands. Brynn finally looks up from Niall to notice Harry standing there, staring out into the distance.

"Hey, you're Harry, right?" she questions, but Harry doesn't answer her. He hasn't even gotten a drink in him yet, but Harry feels like he's going to pass out.

So Harry's making friends. That's great, right? The whole Zayn situation doesn't seem to be going so well though...Make sure to vote and comment what you think :)