Chapter 4

Harry finishes getting ready considerably faster than he had started out. He runs a brush through his curly, unruly hair and races down the stairs, basically tripping his way into the kitchen. He slides with his socks into the room and, with a second of incorrect judgement, crashes into the table. Harry falls backwards and catches himself against the wall before he can do any damage to his body.

        "Harry Edward Styles!" his nan scolds, "You're going to give me a heart attack one of these days." Harry can see her grinning at him, though, and he smiles back, dimples and all. He looks over at Zayn to see him laughing silently and clutching at his sides. This makes Harry feel warm inside, and he smiles at him too, trying to think of something cheeky to say. Harry feeds off of attention, no matter what sort. Whenever someone laughs at one of his antics or scolds his behavior, it always inspires Harry to think of something funny and outrageous to get another reaction out of them. With Zayn, though, nothing seems good enough to say. He keeps thinking of things, but rejecting them right after they surface in his mind. 

        'No Harry, that's dumb,' he tells himself, over and over again. 

        "Did the fall paralyze you, my dear?" his grandmother asks sarcastically. Harry winks at Zayn and groans comically.

        "I really think it did, nan. Do you think you could carry me to the table?" he asks her, making a face to mimic pain. Harry's grandmother just shakes her head at him. 

        "Sorry, Harry. I have a policy about teenage boys who paralyze themselves by running in their socks," she says, "They don't get any breakfast." Harry scrambles to stand up straight and rushes over to his chair at the table. 

        "I think I'm feeling a lot more un-paralyzed now," he replies, stuffing his face with eggs. His grandmother shakes her head at him. 

        "No manners either. What am I going to do with this boy?" she says to Zayn. Zayn sighs dramatically and shrugs. 

        "Don't think there's anything you can do, Mrs. Styles. Boys like him are unreachable." Now it's Zayn's turn to wink at Harry, and when Harry catches his wink, it's almost enough to make him choke.

        "I do believe you're right, Zayn," Harry's grandmother says, continuing the conversation. Harry rolls his eyes and stuffs his face even further with eggs, as if to make a point. His nan ignores him and continues to talk to Zayn. 

        "Are you still going to take Harry on a tour of the neighbourhood?" she asks him. Harry cocks his ear toward Zayn to hear his response. 

        "Um, yeah. I mean, yes. If Harry's up for it." Zayn looks over at Harry expectantly, and Harry feigns innocence. 

        "I'm sorry, what did you say?" he asks Zayn, secretly bursting with his answer. Zayn clears his throat and starts again.

        "I was just wondering if you were still up for the tour. You know, around the neighbourhood?" Harry nods. 

        "Yeah, sure," he says, curbing his excitement, "I'm up for it." Zayn nods at him, and Harry can't keep a smile from spreading across his face.