3. Innocent friendship

Innocent friendship.
18 years ago

| Darina |

Darina pouted when her father backed away from Bryce's locked house. They expected them to be there but when the summer vacation rolled in, they left the country for entertainment purposes.

" Don't worry, butterfly. We can go to my–"

" I'm sorry, daddy. But I need someone to play with." She folded her arms against her chest as she walked by his side to their house.

Clyde chuckled and sigh at the same time. He lifted his daughter from her waist and turned her upside down making her scream in laughter.

" You no longer like my brothers?" He tickled her sides and adjusted her on his strong shoulder, making her sit like a small bird.

" I like them, but they are annoying and boring." Clyde rolled his eyes and smiled when he remembered his brother trying their hardest to make Darina enjoy their company.

" Then we'll stay home–"

" Daddy, who is that?" Darina cut her father and pointed at the little scrawny boy that was taking a large bag of garbage to the big bin at the side of the street.

Clyde looked there and squinted his eyes at the boy. He didn't look foreign to him as if he'd seen him somewhere before. The dark blonde-haired boy looked up at the strong man who had his little daughter on his shoulder. He looked at them in hesitation but when he caught sight of the man, his eyes widen in realization.

" Hey, boy! Come back in." Both Darina and her father snapped their gaze towards the Mclean's house where Mr. Mclean stood there with a cigar sitting in between his fingers.

When Josh—Mr. Mclean looked over the boy and spotted Clyde, he straightened his posture as if he saw death himself walking. He smiled widely over to them and waved shortly when Clyde followed with his eyes the little boy's steps until he reached Josh.

" That's your boy?" Clyde says as he stood a few inches from Josh's driveway.

Josh looked down at the little boy and placed a hand on his shoulder. They didn't notice when the boy flinched at Josh's action, he did his best to stop the urge to push Josh's hand away.

" Yeah! We just adopted him. We don't mind if Darina would want to come and play with him." Josh smiled down at the boy whose face harden before looking over at Clyde.

Darina smiled and her father could feel her excitement. Her eyes moved towards the boy who was looking down at his feet, his hands sitting before his body. She could almost see that he was having a huge battle within him, but she didn't focus on that because she was too excited to see it.

" Darina, would you like to stay with him until I come back?" Clyde placed his daughter on the ground and watch her nod up at him with a thrill in her action.

After Clyde left Darina at the Mclean's house, her eyes moved around the Mclean's living room as she sat on their couch and flapped her legs up and down. She was pulled out of her trance of thoughts when she heard movements coming from her side.

" There." The boy handed Darina the glass of juice with a bold voice, his eyes staring at her coldly.

" Thank you," Smiling, she took the glass and took a small sip from it. She looks over at him with her lips sitting on the brim of the class before pouting. " Are you mad at me?" His eyes widen immediately when she noticed that he was glaring down at her.

" I'm–" The boy began to say when Anna—Mrs. Mclean came in with a wide smile and a bowl of chips and crackers for the kids.

" Having a good time, kids?" Anna looked from Darina to the boy before frowning. Darina looked at Anna and saw how she was staring at the boy, she shivered at the look in her eyes and she couldn't help but speak up.

" Yes, we are. We are friends!" The boy's mouth fell agape at her words when he was waiting to be scolded by Anna who was shooting sharp daggers his way.

" Good," Anna smiled sharply and leaned towards the boy and whispered into his ear behind gritted teeth." Behave." The boy sighed deeply before taking a seat opposite Darina.

" What's your name?" Darina asked after Anna walked away and after a short silence that fell between them.

" Why are you trying to be friends with me?" He looked at her from where he was sitting. He's having his elbows on his knees and his dark blue eyes staring into hers in pure curiosity and wonder.

" Don't you want to be friends with me?" Darina tilted her head to the side after she placed the glass away.

Well, he wasn't planning for that. Those big doe eyes staring into his made him fall into their merciless depth, he was dazed at everything she did. How will he push her away if she keeps doing all of this, he wanted her away because he was bad from the inside, the two people that entered his life were bad, and he had to push her away.

" I–I can't be." Darina raised her brows and twisted her lips to the side at his stuttering words.

" What's holding you back?"

" How old are you to be talking like that?" He was stunned at her and he couldn't hold the entertainment that came out because of her.

" I'm five, just a couple of months and I'll be si–"

" I didn't mean it like that," He let his words out in one breath and pinched the bridge of his nose. "You speak like you fucking understand shit."

Darina frowned at his choice of words. Her father never cursed in front of her but that didn't mean she didn't hear whenever he speaks to someone over the phone or to someone standing before him, she didn't like it.

She didn't say anything back and looked down at her fingers. He expected to hear something from her but when he didn't, he looked up from the floor he was glaring at and furrowed his brows.

" Harvey." He grunted and looked down at his sleeve that he was twisting with his fingers.

" Huh?" Darina looked up at him right when he looked back up at her and his breath caught in his throat at the sight of those curious yet wonderful blue eyes of hers.

" My name. My name is Harvey." And just like that, she began to smile and he felt bewildered for the first time in his life.

Copyright © 2020
By sheen the author
All Rights Reserved