CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

Start from the beginning

"Kaleb, it's Dungeons and Dragons, and I don't even go to those," MG pointed out.

"That's hard to believe," Kaleb scoffed. MG developed an offended expression.

"Excuse me—" he started, only to cut off when Henrik couldn't hold in his laughter anymore. Both of them turned toward him with shocked expressions, as if just remembering that he was still there. MG went from shocked to wary again in seconds. "I'm sorry, who are you? How do you know me?"

"Hope," Henrik said honestly, though his next words weren't so honest. "I'm one of her witch tutors. Do either of you know where Caroline is?" Both of them blinked, like they had no idea who Caroline was. Henrik paused for a moment, then decided to clarify. "Headmistress Forbes?"

"Oh!" MG exclaimed, letting out a nervous laugh of relief. Mentioning Hope must have done the trick, because he no longer looked wary. Henrik couldn't say the same for Kaleb, who still had his eyes narrowed, but he wasn't too concerned. He wasn't going to be on the premises much longer either way. "Yeah, yeah, Ms. Forbes is in the cafeteria, I think? Organizing some dance." Henrik bit the inside his cheek, having to physically restrain himself from saying How predictable, and chose to smile instead.

"Thanks." Before leaving, he tapped at the board of wood. "Be more careful next time." He was walking away before they could respond. As he walked across the parking lot toward the main entrance of the school, he glanced around himself in curiosity. Now that he wasn't driving, he could really notice the supernatural aspects around him. A group of witches was growing flowers in the front lawn, and vampires were racing back and forth with their enhanced speed. He had no idea where the werewolves were, but he could only assume they were playing around in another part of the property. Smiling to himself, he reached the entrance and let himself in, and had to stop for a moment and process just how different the main foyer looked. The only thing that was even mildly familiar was the huge fireplace. They must have kept that and renovated and expanded on everything else.

He shook his head and kept moving. It didn't take him long to find the cafeteria. It was rather hard to miss, considering there were many students carting boxes toward a large room. He just followed them and found Caroline in the middle of the resulting chaos, a clipboard in hand and her voice raised above all the other chatter. Henrik couldn't quite bite back his amused smile.

"Penelope, the glasses go on that table—Teddy, stop breathing in helium, for god's sake—Jed and Alyssa, stop or I'm throwing both of you in detention—oh." Caroline finally spotted Henrik coming through the small crowd of helpers, her eyes raking over the kids as she barked out orders to make them behave. Henrik smiled and waved playfully at her, and that finally made Caroline break out of her shock and scowl. She pushed the clipboard into a student's hands and told them quietly to take over, and then she was hurrying over to Henrik. She spoke before he got a chance to. "How in the world did you get in here?" Henrik raised his eyebrows.

"Well, good to see you, too," Henrik said sweetly, though he did allow her to grab his arm and steer him out of the cafeteria. As they walked, Caroline linking their arms and slowing her pace to make it seem like they were friendlier than they actually were, Henrik took in the school again. He spoke as they marched into an office. "I really hope most of the money Nik has donated to this school actually went towards education, curriculums, and necessary supplies, and not towards marble floors and chandeliers." Caroline, with a huff, turned and barely stopped herself from slamming the doors to the office shut. Once they were closed, Henrik added, "I would hate to think that my niece isn't getting the best education money has to buy."

"We take the education of our kids very seriously," Caroline said through gritted teeth, and then Henrik had the pleasure of watching her as she calmed down. Seeing his face must have brought back plenty of negative memories and emotions, because he had never seen her so fed up so quickly. She closed her eyes, took in a deep breath, and then let it out in a sigh. He waited until he knew she was calm before he smiled and spoke again.