𝐂.12

the morning

A FEW HOURS LATER, on the brink of a new day; the birds were singing sweet melodies —as if Mother Nature herself was covering up her daughter Agatha's tyrannical tantrum.

The wind still howling from the passing storm, you could hear the thunder pass with each moment of pure bliss. Rays of sunshine creep onto JJ's closed eyelids, coming through between the fallen leaves and debris on the skylight in Martha's closet.

They fell asleep listening to the soft but violent tears pounding on the glass as they looked at the image of the nyx-like night, its stars twinkling for only them to see.

JJ shifts as he slowly wakes up from the eye-opening night. Martha told him everything —including the non-consented explicit photos that Rafe now has for blackmail on her— and when she did, it took her everything in her power to stop JJ from not running over to the Cameron's and killing the banished kook prince during the storm.

JJ knew the next time that asshole said something nasty or even looked at Marty objectively, he would be there. And that doesn't mean her savior could just be emotional support because Martha told him that she would like to handle the situation on her own terms.

Speaking of Martha, she was peacefully sleeping on his sweatshirt-covered chest and torso; both arms enclasped around the blond's torso; never wanting to let go. He smiles down in awe and astonishment; his fingernail subconsciously tracing up and down her shoulder blades. Making its way to her face, placing a fallen strain of bark-colored hair back behind her soft ear.

Martha hums as he does so, startling the boy slightly and making him apologize like a mad dog.

"Sorry, Martha, I didn't mean to wake you." His voice was raspy, still half-asleep. He doesn't really like his morning voice but, to her, it sounded ethereal; like sweet summer honeydew.

"But-but I should go before your father finds me, and besides... JB would be looking for me."

Martha rubs Sandman's dust from her eyes, nodding along with his statement —before noticing the golden sleepy dust in the crinkles of his Egyptian blue eyes.

She giggles as she grabs his heavy index finger and drags it softly along the bottom of his eyelash line. "You got some goobies."

He blushes and smiles, mouthing a 'thank you' before rubbing off glitter the dream guardian bestowed on the couple. "At least we both had good dreams and a good night's sleep," Martha whispers, too used to the quiet atmosphere.

Once JJ is done cleaning his eyes, he grabs Martha's hands, pulling her up more and wrapping her arms around his neck. He whispers "come here, I need a good morning kiss before I leave."

"J, I have morning breath." She mumbles, embarrassed about her hygiene. JJ laughs at her blushing face, commenting, "so do I, and I don't care."

He leans forward, connecting their lips together, their eyes fluttering shut, moaning in satisfaction and care. Her left hand clutches on the base of his neck, while her right hand combs his peanut butter pecan hair. His callous, yet soft, hands hold her face and jaw in place, never wanting to let go.