"What do you think you're doing?" he asked in a gruff voice.

"You know very well what I'm doing. It's the same thing that was done to you when you were shot in the leg."

"But you don't—"

"Adrian," she stopped him, nearly growling out his name, "I have been studying this for several years. I've even helped some animals, and I can tell you that none of them died. So, I assure you, you're not going to die, either."

"But I'm not an animal."

She arched an eyebrow. "That's debatable, however, that's a topic we can discuss at a later date."

The side of his mouth lifted as if he was trying not to grin, but moments later, his scowl was back. "I think I'll be just fine if you bandage me, instead."

She shook her head. "No, you won't. Your wounds are still open. I need to close them before you lose more blood."

"Lottie," he said in a warning voice.

"Look at it this way." Impatience gnawed on her already frazzled nerved. "If you were taken to a hospital to have surgery, would the doctor cut you open without closing you back up? No, he would not, and I'm not going to do that, either."

With his good hand, he grasped her elbow, stopping her. She met his glare, ready to challenge him to anything. "Adrian, you wanted me to prove to you my ability, so kindly let me do it."

His nostrils flare with each intake of air. Finally, he nodded. "Then keep the stitches small."

It was difficult not to grin in victory as she stitched him up. She would definitely keep the stitches small, because showing him that she could really do it was worth all of this hassle. Of course, she always couldn't wait to hear his apology since that was something he never gave her when she was a child.

She finished both wounds before bandaging his shoulder, winding the gauze carefully around him in order to cover both gunshot wounds. After she had done this, she stuffed a pillow behind him to keep his shoulder propped up. That, too, would help stop the flow of blood.

"How are you feeling?" She stood and moved to the back of her office where water trickled inside from the nearest stream. She used this as her washbasin.

"Better."

She stood from the water and shook the liquid off her hands. "Would you like something to drink or eat?"

One of his eyebrows arched. "You have food here?"

"I have a little, mostly candy. As you can see," she swept her hand around her office, "I can't exactly live here."

His gaze moved around the space before he looked back at her. "I'm impressed."

She sucked in a breath. A compliment? Indeed, it was the end of the world. Either that, or pigs were flying somewhere. "You are?"

"Yes. I can't believe you single-handed put together this makeshift office and kept it a secret for all these years."

So, maybe he wasn't quite giving her a compliment just yet. "That's what I did, and while doing it, I secretly studied to be a Veterinarian."

He stared at her for the longest time without saying a word. It made her nervous. It also made her remember her childhood because he seemed to be always plotting ways to tease her and irritate her.

"I think I just figured something out," Adrian said.

She moved closer to him. "Oh, let me guess. You finally figured out that you were wrong and that I was able to prove to you that I could be a good doctor?"

Slowly, he shook his head as a grin stretched his mouth. "No, that's not what I figured out."

"Well? Are you going to tell me?"

"I just realized why you're not married." He chuckled lightly. "You don't have time to make yourself available for men to court you."

She rolled her eyes and snorted a laugh. "How wrong you are, Adrian. I'll have you know many men have courted me. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Carson Donnelly asks for my hand in marriage."

Inwardly, she scolded herself for the outlandish lie. But, she didn't want Adrian to know how close to the truth he really was.

Adrian laughed. "The mayor's son?" His laughter grew. "I'm afraid, Lottie, that that kind of man wouldn't be able to make you happy."

She lifted her chin stubbornly. "What makes you think that? You don't know him as I do."

"He's a weakling. I remember him when we were boys in school. Anytime there were rough games to play, Carson slunk away, complaining of having a sick stomach." Adrian nodded toward her medicine cabinet. "If Mr. Rich Pants ever saw your little office, and especially how you use your supplies, you'll be giving smelling salts to him after he passes out."

"You are not very humorous, Adrian."

She bent and picked up her mess on the floor near the cot. "Carson Donnelly is a very sweet man. Any woman would be lucky to have him. Besides," she looked up at Adrian, "he's not the boy you remember. The years have changed him, just as it has changed both of us."

"Really?" His eyes widened. "You have changed?"

Her temper boiled. If he wasn't already injured, she's punch him in the arm. "I'll have you know that you can no longer hurt me with your words or your actions. Whatever you dish out, I'll return in in full force."

His chest shook in a silent laugh. "No, Lottie, you haven't changed at all, because that's exactly what you did when you were younger."

She shrugged. "Perhaps old habits die hard, which will mean that you haven't changed, either."

Nicolette stood and stomped toward the fire pit where she'd burn the soiled bandages. Just then, the neigh of a horse came from outside. Adrian's horse was still in her hideout and hadn't made a sound.

She spun toward Adrian and motioned for him to be quiet. She wasn't worried about the lantern light, only because the sun's brightness was shining into her office through the foliage by now.

"Get my revolver," Adrian whispered, pointing to the weapon near his uniform jacket.

She dumped the soiled bandages in the fire pit and rushed to his revolver, pulling it out of the holster. She turned toward the opening of the hideout and pointed the gun in that direction.

Men's voices were nearby, but not close enough to hear what they were saying. One thing she did know was that they weren't on top of the hideout this time. She said a silent prayer that they wouldn't become suspicious and look behind her wall of foliage that she'd built to hide her secret life.

Suddenly, she saw one of the horses as it stopped near the opening. Her heartbeat hammered wildly.

"Lottie," Adrian whispered. "Do you have a carrot or apple to feed to my horse?"

She swung her gaze to him and scowled. "What are you worried about your horse for?"

He rolled his eyes. "Feed the horse to keep him quiet."

She hated to feel stupid, and right now she felt like the biggest dunce in the world. She nodded and hurried to the horse, picking up an apple on the way. As she fed the animal, she kept her gaze on the horse she could see on the other side.

They couldn't find them now. Although she wanted to be brave, she had never used a gun before, and she didn't want to start now. Her purpose in life was not to hurt people – or animals – but to heal them.

The man on the horse came closer, and she held her breath.