Gone, Gone, Gone

Rachel's POV

I can't believe it. She's gone. My happy, strong, out and proud, girlfriend is gone. I could tell she was finally happy but now that's all gone for god knows how long. Looking at Quinn in this hospital bed, with a newly born baby in the nursery, and her not remembering what we were, it just kills me. Not to mention, it was us fighting that made her collapse, which led to all the other problems. It might be creepy, but in this moment, all I wanted was to lie down and cuddle with my girlfriend one last time. Lying there with Quinn for however long felt like the world finally slowed down, and we were the only two that existed in the whole world. In this moment, all I know is that I just want to stay here like this, with my girlfriend cuddled right beside me, for as long as I possibly could before it's all gone for good.

"Mm, Rach?"

Shit. Shit shit shit shit shit. I woke her up. How did I wake her up? What do I do? What do I say? Do I even say anything? What if she remembers?

"Helloooo? Rachel??"
"Quinny- I mean, Quinn! Um... What's up?"
"Nothing much but um, why are you in bed with me?"
"Um what?"
"You're in my bed... with me."
"Oh uh, yeah I guess I am."
"Okay... why?"
"Um, no reason. Just came to visit you before you came back to school to make sure you're all good."
"Well that's sweet of you, I guess, but can you maybe get out of my bed?"
"Oh! Right yeah totally. Finn! When did you get here?"
"Um, Quinn called me a few minutes ago. So I drove over."
"Alright, whatever. Can I talk to you for a sec?"
"I'm kinda busy, Rachel."
"Back off my boyfriend, Berry."
"I'm not interested in your 'boyfriend', Quinn. I just need to talk to him for a second."
"Quinn, just let her talk to me for a bit. I'll be right back."
"Okay baby, don't be too long."

We left Quinn to let her get ready and the second Finn shut the door, I was just about ready to pounce on him. I took a breath, ready to destroy him, but he spoke first, interrupting me before I could start ripping him to shreds.

"What do you want, Rachel?"
"What do I want? What do I want? WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK I WANT, FINN??? I want my fucking girlfriend back. I want to be in a loving relationship with her again. I want to see my beautiful girlfriend be happy again."

Finn stood there dumbfounded, that stupid brainless look on his face. I raised my eyebrow at him, waiting for his response, when he finally took a breath and said four words that made want to throttle him:

"Then leave her alone."
"Excuse me?"
"Leave her alone, Rachel. She obviously doesn't remember you as her girlfriend. Look, I know this whole thing is hard but if she doesn't remember, she won't remember. At least not for a long time. Don't force it on her or she may not remember it at all."
"At all?"
"She didn't even remember having a baby. It seems to me like the last thing she remembers is being a Cheerio and dating me. It'll be suprising if she even remembers joining New Directions."
"But she needs to remember. She HAS to. She can't just forget the last six months of her life. She can't just... forget me."
"Rachel, look. When Quinn broke up with me, it was the hardest thing I've ever gone through. Seeing you two date and be happy was so hard for me. But I didn't stop you guys. I'm pretty sure that's a hate crime or something."
"I didn't realize we hurt you that badly, Finn. I- I'm so sorry."
"It's fine, I guess. It's whatever. My point is, you have to let Quinn go. At least until, IF she remembers her life."
"You mean when."
"...Sure. Either way, you have to stop trying to force her to remember you. It could mess with her brain even more and make the amnesia permanent. Just leave it alone. Go about your life and if she starts to remember, I'll let you know. Can you at least promise me that you'll try?"
"I can try but it'll be hard. Any time I see her in the hallway, I'll want to kiss her or hug her or at least talk to her. I don't know, maybe eventually I can get her to remember-"
"Rachel."
"Sorry. I'll try."
"Good. Now go try and get some sleep. I'll talk to you at rehearsal."
"Hopefully sooner!"
"Don't push it. Goodnight Rach."
"Goodnight Finn. Again, I'm so sorry. Goodnight Qui-"
"Oh Rupaul. Are you finally leaving? Good."
"Bye, Quinn. I'll see you at school."
"Hoping not to."
"Goodbye."

THE NEXT DAY

"Listen, Finn. We have to get nominated for prom king and queen. We're the perfect candidates, of course we'll win."
"Um, yeah totally."
"Are you even listening to me?"
"Uh what? Right. Prom king and queen."
"Right. We'll be shoo-ins. The pretty blonde head cheerleader and the quarterback. Who wouldn't vote for us?"
"I for one, wouldn't. For a multitude of reasons, actually."
"Rach, don't. It's not worth it."
"Fuck off, Finn. I'm tired of this shit. I'm getting my girlfriend back."
"Stop calling me that, weirdo."
"Woah. Rach, I've never heard you swear that much."
"I said, stay out of this, Finn. This is between me and my amnesiac girlfriend."
"Shut up, shrew. I'm not an amnesiac OR your girlfriend. Plus, why wouldn't you vote for Finn and I for prom royalty? You know we're clearly the obvious option. Not to mention, who asked you, hobbit?"
"Because, Quinny. I, among many others, wouldn't vote you as prom queen cuz we all know that this isn't the real you."
"And what the fuck is that supposed to mean?"
"Nothing. Finn? A moment."
"Ugh Finn, ignore her. Look her in the eyes any longer and she'll turn you to stone."
"Hah, funny. Anyways, Finn? Come here. NOW."
"God Berry, leave him alone! He's MY boyfriend, not yours."
"Actually, QUINN, he's neither of our boyfriends because WE'RE GAY! AND DATING! For a while now, actually."
"Shut up, hag! I'm straight and have ALWAYS been. Hello? I have a boyfriend. Stop spreading that NONSENSE about me!"
"You know what, Quinn? Screw you. Actually, no. FUCK you, Quinn."
"Woah, Rachel. Calm down. She doesn't remember and won't for a while."
"Don't remember what, babe?"
"Stay out of this, Finn. This is between me and my girlfriend."
"I said, stop calling me that, hag!"

And that's when the first slap happened. Quinn Fabray just slapped me. She's slapped me before but this time I wasnt sure how to react. I stepped back for a moment but I knew what I had to do. I slapped back, the Rachel Berry way.

"He means, remember us. You and me. We made it through thick and thin, with everyone that loved and respected us. If they didn't, fuck 'em. We had each other and that was all we needed. Just you and I together, like it was meant to be. You were mine and I was yours. Quinn Fabray, I love you more than words could and will ever express. I couldn't believe that you actually liked me of all people but you always told me how much you loved me and how we were gonna spend the rest of our lives together. The baby or Finn or Puck or whoever didn't matter. It was you and I against the world. I was so happy for once knowing that you were mine. Call me selfish, clingy, dramatic, whatever. I didn't care as long as I had my beautiful blonde cheerleader in my corner, cheering me on every step of the way. Not even 48 hours ago, you were telling me how you would sacrifice yourself in multiple ways for me and now you're slapping me? What happened to 'walking on hot rusty nails' or 'multiple gunshots' or even 'making up new words in the dictionary to explain how much you love me'? Did that mean nothing to you? Do I really mean absolutely nothing to you?"
"Rachel, wait, I-"
"Forget it, Quinn. I'll get out of your way. And while I'm at it? Why don't I just get out of your life all together? Maybe that'll finally make you happy."

Running out of school, crying, felt like a scene straight out of a movie. It felt like I was just running and running in slow-mo, and it seemed like I was getting nowhere fast. My vision was blurry and I could feel the tears stinging in my eyes. Once I somehow found my way to the bathroom, I locked myself in a stall and just sat there. No crying, no screaming, nothing. Just a whole bunch of breathing. I stifled about a million loud and ugly sobs, but I choked them back. I couldn't just continue my super surreal breakdown about my not-so girlfriend in school where anyone, or God forbid, Quinn, sees me crying alone. I can't- I won't just accept that it's all over. It can't be over. I can't go back to the way it was before. My life has changed way too significantly to be forgotten just like that. Maybe I have to love her enough to let her go. Maybe that's the only way to get her memory back. Maybe I have to just stay in this bathroom forever alone so no one can ever find m-

"Rachel?"

Shit. There goes my plan.