Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

Much to the surprise of the royal court. A King never knelt down before anyone. For any reason. Yet he had just done so twice.

He continued on without paying them a mind, "There's no retracting allowed. I would never say no to you. You just took me by surprise. It's really refreshing to find someone who asks for nothing but your company. When would you like us to be there?"

Her heart gave a little flutter. "Will seven-thirty work for you?"

"Perfect."

His response was so quick she wondered how he'd been able to be that sure of his schedule without checking with someone.

Surprised it was going in her favor, she smiled nervously, "Then I will see you both tonight."

"I look forward to hearing your request." The King said with a smile.

"It will be our pleasure to join you, my Queen." The Prime Minister chimed in.

Knots twisted in her stomach. Henry was the last person she wanted to share a meal with...but it would be better this way. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, so they say.

With a final curtsy, she turned to leave. Stopped by a firm grip on her upper arm, she glanced over her shoulder as the king leaned in and softly whispered in her ear, "I miss you too."

Her features softened as he released his grip allowing her to go on her way.

She retreated out as quickly as she could; she had a lot to prepare for.

* * * *

Alexander smiled as she exited the throne room. He hadn't realized just how much he'd missed her till that moment. He loved her in a way that he never realized existed.

And her coming here, breaking the law — just to ask him to dinner — added a new trait to her he hadn't seen before, but he liked it.

She could have just as easily sent him a letter or sent Maxwell to petition her request, but instead, she had done something incredibly stupid as well as courageous, just to ask him in person herself. Yet he made a mental note to always keep his scepter in the throne room.

She had warmed his heart today and reminded him why he loved her so much. She was real. She cared about other's feelings and most importantly, she loved him too.

"Nothing is more dangerous than a beautiful woman who is focused and unimpressed." murmured Henry.

The King grinned, "Indeed. So you would be wise not to anger her." Taking his throne again he gave the go-ahead for Parliament to continue as the words of his father echoed in his mind from their last conversation years ago:

"Heavy is the crown and yet she wears it as if it were a feather: there is strength in her heart, determination in her eyes and the will to survive resides within her soul. She is a Queen. She competes with no one, and no one can compete with her. She is the kind of Queen that knows her crown isn't on her head but in her soul. She has the mindset of a Queen and the heart of a warrior. She is everything all at once and too much for anyone who doesn't deserve her. That's the kind woman you need to find. And when you find her, make her your Queen."

He smiled to himself. I found her dad.

* * * *

Ms. Hannah placed the finishing touches on the table as Katherine spoke with Maxwell.

"Please be careful tonight." Maxwell cautioned.

Katie nodded, "I will be." She wrung her hands together and glanced over her shoulder towards the doors. They would be here any minute.