Katherine sighed, crossed her arms and began rubbing them, warming them with friction. "So I'm supposed to be silent and watch you parade around with all the other girls? Listen to them talk about you...be apart from you?"

Alex brushed her cheek with the back of his hand, "I'm sorry. Perhaps I should have waited to propose...I don't like this either, but I don't have a choice. Not now. I promise to steal as many moments alone with you as possible. I thought that if you had the promise of us being together it might make the situation easier. I'll be honest, I hate waiting for anything, but if it's waiting for you — I'll wait."

Katherine prayed silently. Finally, after a long pause, she asked, "Promise me it won't be long?"

He smiled and kissed her hand, "I promise. We may have to wait to announce it, but I'm already yours, Katherine. Now and forever."

He sighed and placed his forehead against hers, "You're going to have to make me leave...because I really want to stay."

"Goodnight my King." She pushed him from her and handed him his robe, a tear forming in the corner of her eye.

He wrapped her tightly in his arms once more. Not wanting to move from her embrace, not truly wanting her to send him away. Finally having someone he wanted to share his days with and his nights.

He took her hand in his, "If you ever have any doubts about my feelings for you," he pointed to the engagement ring he had placed there only moments ago, "just look at that and remind yourself that I chose you."

With a regretful smile, he forced himself to retreat out the door.

* * * *

Katherine leaned against the door as it shut behind Alex. She wanted to go with him. Or let him stay, but that would be a mistake.

If she was his choice, she didn't want to hide it from the others. She gazed down and admired the engagement ring the King had placed on her hand just minutes prior. It all felt like a dream.

All at once, she realized just how tired she was. She crawled into bed and let her head sink into the pillow as the weight of her body was enveloped by the mattress. She could have easily given in to the exhaustion, yet she feared what would haunt her dreams.

A chill swept over her, and she tugged up the blanket that was draped over her lower body.

The diamond on her ring glistened in the moonlight as it illuminated the room from her bedroom windows.

The King's words warmed her heart: Look at that and remind yourself that I chose you.

He had chosen her to be his wife. The Queen. She was both honored and terrified.

* * * *

Maxwell tapped on the King's bedroom door. In the years past he had been accustomed to entering unannounced to usher out the kings "guest" before he awoke. It was an understanding they had.

Most of the time Alexander had been out cold, completely drunk, and never remembered the entrance or exit. Other times he just pretended to be asleep so he wouldn't have to deal with his visitor's resentful removal.

He had made it a rule that he never wanted company when he awoke. Angry at himself that he had once again failed at the expected standards of a king. Losing himself in yet another bottle of wine to erase the memory of the night prior, just to have a repeat performance the following night.

Maxwell sighed. It had taken quite a while to get his friend back. He hoped he wasn't losing him again. Though he had only spent an hour or less interviewing each of the contestants when he had told Maxwell not to come for Katherine until morning...well he feared that an old habit might show its ugly face yet again.