she shivers and nods her head, telling me that she knows i'm here.

"does it just happen like this? you just go back?"

"n-no. not usually. it feels different this time, like i'm just alone here. there's no monsters, it's just me."

she looks confused and removes her hand, placing it in her lap.

"mike doesn't know you're here."

he doesn't know? how doesn't he know?

"you're dreaming. your body is still here, in the real world, but the part of you that is awake is there, the upside down. mike fell asleep about an hour ago so he doesn't know. i felt that something was wrong, so i tried to wake you but you wouldn't open your eyes. i knew you had to be here."

i nod in understanding before realizing she can't see me.

"mike doesn't have to know. please, just bring me back."

mike's POV

"will's not even awake yet, el." i whisper, carefully untangling myself from the brown-haired boy.

"that's kind of the whole point." max interjects, peeking down from the top bunk.

el follows, slipping down the ladder in one quick motion.

she looks upset, like something is weighing on her.

"hey, what's wrong?" i ask, folding my arms in a concerned fashion.

she shakes her head, wordlessly dismissing the question. she is soon joined by max who is much more of a morning person than i would've previously thought.

"what are we waiting for? we have to make little byers breakfast!"

i absolutely cringe upon hearing max call will little byers.

we all make our way to the kitchen, where max prepares a pancake batter and instructs me to gather the necessary tools to cook said pancake batter.

el still stays quiet, keeping to herself, which isn't like her. weird.

"i'm going to go see if will's awake yet, i'll be back." she excuses herself, leaving max and i to finish up.

"is she okay?" i ask quietly, in case el can still hear us.

max shakes her head, wiping her hands on her pajama bottoms.

"i'm not sure. something's definitely up. she got up at like 3 AM after you fell asleep. she seemed to be in a rush. i don't know where she went but she didn't come back until almost 6."

"and you didn't think to follow her?"

"well, at first i thought she wanted more cookies or something, but then an hour passed and i was too nervous to get up. maybe dustin and lucas saw her."

i nod, considering where she could've gone, what could've happened.

"the upside down."

"excuse me?" max asks, leaning against the counter.

"that's the only time she ever just disappears. something must've happened."

"something like what? i thought we closed the gate. i thought nothing like this would happen again."

i turn on the fire, to warm the pan for the pancakes.

"i thought so, too. but, it's gotta be it." i admit, pouring a small amount of batter into the pan.

max shakes her head, "there's no way el would keep this from us, mike." she crosses her arms, watching over my shoulder to make sure i prepare the pancakes correctly.

"max, think about it," i turn to face her, turning the fire to the lowest setting, "the ONLY times el has been this...weird is when it's had to do with the upside down."

"no, i don't think so. i mean, if something were happening, don't you think will would know? he's literally sound asleep in there. everything is fine."

"something's wrong, maxine."

she glares at me for using her full name while reaching over me to turn the fire back up.

"she'll tell us if somethings wrong, okay? just finish with our breakfast." she instructs.

something's not right. call me crazy, but i just have a bad feeling.

but, i do finish our pancakes. i figure maybe some warm food could do me some good, do us all some good. me, max, el, and will.

____________________________________________
It's good to be writing again. I just started senior year and i'm already scared to go to college. Anyway, this chapter didn't really turn out the way I wanted it to, but I've kept it from you for so long, so here it is. Thank you for all the love and support during my hiatus. Thank you to everyone who told me to update, it put me one step closer to hitting the publish button.

Yours,
Sava

.