xii (promises)

mike's pov

"what the-why is it locked?" max asks, wiggling the knob to my bedroom door. 

i shake my head, knowing my door doesn't even have a lock. it must just be jammed or maybe she's not pushing hard enough.

"here, let me try." i offer, handing the plate of pancakes i'm holding to max. 

i try this time, pushing hard on the door while turning the knob. i press my entire body against it, hoping it might budge. 

but, the door doesn't open. 

i try putting my ear on the door, so i can hear what's going on in the room. 

"he deserves to know. i will tell him if you don't." a mumbled voice says from inside. i know from the voice that-

"it's el. what's she doing?" max asks.

i turn to face max, who has copied my actions and is standing with her ear pressed against the door, too. 

"i don't know. she's talking to will, i think."

"well yeah, dumbass. there's no one else in the room." 

"shut up, maxine." 

we both assume our previous positions so we can hear the conversation.

"she's on the way, anyway." it's will's voice this time. his small, sad voice just makes my heart cry. how i want to just make all his pain go away. 

suddenly overcome with a strong urge to protect, i knock on the door and call out to will and el, "hey guys, can i come in?"

i hear the lock click, almost in a theatrical way telling me to come in. i enter, max following close behind.

will and el sit on opposite ends of my bed, reminiscent of how el and i would look after hopper knocked on her door when we were dating. it's kind of funny really.

max and i stand awkwardly at the foot of the bed, unsure of what it was we just interrupted. 

boldly, as she is, max distributes the plates of pancakes wordlessly to the two. they receive them, el bowing her head in gratitude and will looking up at max with big eyes without words. 

it's a look she's not used to from him. a look that says he can't seem to find the right thing to say, but he wants you to know he's acknowledging the situation. i've seen it many times. 

often, i see it when we're in the middle of a really tough campaign and i help him win. or when i stand up to those boys that bully him. or when i offer to lay next to him at sleepovers when he has nightmares. 

el quickly eats her breakfast, ignoring the fork entirely. before long, max takes the plate and says, "el, will you come with me to the kitchen?"

she nods and stands quickly from the bed. el gives a look to will before being pulled out of the room by max.

"are you okay?" i ask, moving closer to will and reaching for his hand. 

"i'm fine. please, don't worry." his voice is quiet and he avoids my eyes. 

his hand lays in mine. it's cold and shakey. i'm not sure what to do, if there is anything i can do.

i sigh to let him know i don't believe him. there's something you're not telling me, byers.

"mikey, please." he moves closer to me and rests his head on my shoulder. i let myself relax now and put my head on top of his. i smell his shampoo that is still somehow scenting his hair, it makes my heart skip a beat. 

how lucky i am to have found somebody who makes me swoon over the little things.

i begin to rub circles into his palm, just enjoying this moment, this new dynamic between us. 

"do you think you've always loved me?" he asks, the softness in his voice back again.

"i like to think that i have. like somehow our hearts knew each other before our brains did. i think that's why we became friends so quickly, even as young as we were. it was like that piece of you fit with some piece of me and everything fell into place. that's why i think we're soulmates." i admit, my heart racing. 

will sighs next to me.

"what's wrong?" i ask, immediately panicking. 

"it's just nice to hear you say it." 

i pick up my head and as a result, will picks up his. 

i gently place my hand on his cheek and bring his close. i stare into his eyes for just a moment before closing the gap between us. it's a gentle kiss that seems to be an apology for all the wasted time before this. i'm sorry i didn't say it sooner.

will pulls away first, his hand having found its way to my leg, he leaves it there. 

caught up in the moment, i forgot what i was worried about. then, it comes back to me. 

"are you sure you're okay?" i say as delicately as possible so i don't annoy him by bringing it back up.

he nods, wordlessly, removing his hand.

"i want you to know that i'm still you're best friend. at the end of the day, i want to be the person you tell all your secrets to. okay?" i take his hand in mine again in a comforting way.

he nods, "i know, mike. you will be, i promise.

suddenly, the door creeks open. we both turn immediately to see who it is. 

it's max with a confused look on her face. 

"will, joyce is here." 

he nods and stands, walking to the door to pick up his bags, which were already packed and sitting by my door. 

it's weird that i never noticed them and that i never even saw him go back in the basement to get them.

he looks back at me before walking back to the bed. 

i stand and wait for him to make the next move. 

he wraps his arms around my shoulders tightly and i wrap my arms around his waist. we stay like this for a few moments before he gives me a gentle kiss and says, "i will be back."

it's a weird thing to say and the face i make probably gives it away. 

he turns and walks back to the door and picks up his stuff. he walks down the stairs as max and i just watch, confused, trying to figure out what just happened. 

****************************************

Hey guys!

First of all, thank you so much for getting this book to #1 in the Byler tag for almost one and a half weeks, that was cool as hell. I am so appreciative of all you guys for reading this and commenting and sticking it out between updates. I am watching all the activity (new comments, new favorites, new reads, etc) even when I'm not active. It pops up on my phone and makes me so happy! 

This is the end of what I'd like to call part 1 of the book, more crazy stuff is on the way, stay tuned!

Yours,

Sava