TWO. VIII

SEASON TWO
EPISODE EIGHT
THE MIND FLAYER (PART TWO)

        HOLDING ONTO THE LADDER, Monty made sure that it stood firmly on the floor of the garden shed without Steve's weight crushing it

HOLDING ONTO THE LADDER, Monty made sure that it stood firmly on the floor of the garden shed without Steve's weight crushing it. Steve, Monty and Nancy were busy prepping the shed for Will's interrogation.

          Prepping for Monty meant do nothing and wait until the others are done.

          "Hey," Nancy said, gaining the other teenagers' attention. She looked at them both, her eyes drifting from Monty to Steve and said, "What you did, um, helping the kids...that was... really cool."

           Monty tilted her head, raising her eyebrows. "Thanks," she said while Steve went, "Yeah. Those little shits are real trouble, you know?"

           Steve climbed up the ladder, accidentally stepping on Monty's finger. She yelped and hissed, "Steve!"

           She examined her finger in the dim light the shed gave while Steve jumped down the ladder, taking her finger in his hand as soon as he landed, reassuring her he didn't mean to hurt her and if it hurt a lot. And even though it hurt, Monty shook her head and smiled. "It's fine."

After they returned to work, Monty cleared her throat to gain Nancy's attention. She hadn't really planned to ever say it... especially not now. But, oh well, this was going to be a spontaneous thing.

Nancy turned to Monty, a smile plastered on her face.

"Listen, Nancy, um... I know what I did to you wasn't very cool, you know. Starting rumors and calling you a slut and everything, and... I guess I want to apologize?" Steve glanced down at Monty. "So, I'm sorry. For everything... I'm not the best at apologizing and I hardly ever do, so... please accept?"

Nancy stared at her. Monty thought she looked surprised. She was surprised, too. Sure, she had thought about her behavior towards Nancy before and most definitely had an imaginary argument while showering, but... it never came to the point of actually apologizing, or actually planning to. It felt like something made her act differently.

"It's fine," Nancy smiled, before she returned to spreading duct tape on the wall, "Given the... reason... you behaved like that, it's fine. I probably shouldn't have hooked up with a guy that was in a relationship, so..."

Monty smiled, showing her teeth. The two girls almost simultaneously looked up at Steve, who was still standing on the ladder, looking dumbfounded.

"Why are you staring at me?"

"You are the reason, Steve," Nancy said.

"You know what, Nancy? Fuck boys. They ain't shit, right?"

"Yeah," Nancy grinned, matching Monty's expression. She went towards Monty, hooking their arms together. The two girls walked towards the exit of the garden shed, and they could hear Steve protest.