TWO. IV

SEASON TWO
CHAPTER FIVE
WILL THE WISE

       "MISS MONTGOMERY," SAID a woman in a pencil skirt and a blouse

       "MISS MONTGOMERY," SAID a woman in a pencil skirt and a blouse. She looked expectantly at Monty through her glasses. Her plucked eyebrows were raised. "Your father's now ready meet you."

        "Great," Monty muttered under her breath as she stood up from the uncomfortable chair in the waiting room. She picked up the box she had put next to her feet when she first arrived at the Hawkins Lab.

        Monty followed the woman through several long corridors, slowly getting tired and confused because everything looked the fucking same. How do people remember their ways? Shit.

         They reached a white, sterile room and she saw her father sitting at his desk, a mountain of paperwork to his right; weird and colorful and most probably toxic substances and chemicals to his left.

"Dr. Montgomery," the woman tried to get his attention. He didn't react.

"Dr. Montgomery, your daughter is here."

He slowly turned around in his chair to face, who Monty assumed was the secretary, and his daughter. He gestured for the secretary to leave, and then softly smiled at Monty.

She stepped towards him and he said, "Hi, honey. What are you doing here?"

She hugged him quickly. "Um, Mom said to bring you lunch?"

Monty loved her dad, no doubt. The thing was just, ever since Monty was a little girl all he did was work, work, work. At this super boring laboratory. Everywhere he went he brought his work with him: he had his own office at home, which Monty didn't have access to. No trespassing, said a sign on its door. At work he was obviously working. The tv only had science channels turned on when he was around. Her dad was a well-known and also intelligent scientist, but a dad? Not so much. Sure, Monty grew up wealthy, in a huge house and her dad bought her whatever she wanted, but if she were honest, the only thing that was missing in her life was her dad.

She saw recognition flicker in his eyes and he said, "Oh, yes. I forgot. Old brains," he said and winked, putting a finger to his temple.

Monty pressed her lips together to form a forced smile. She stepped forward to his desk and put the box with food on his desk, but her father snatched the box away. "Thanks, but don't put in on the desk, I..."

She stopped listening to what he said when she saw Nancy and Jonathan pass her dad's lab/office. Whatever. She said, "Yeah, Dad," before stepping outside and quickly following them.

"Nancy?" Monty called out her name. Nancy stopped walking turned to Jonathan to share a glance before turning around and facing Monty.

"Catherine, what are you doing here?" Nancy asked with a smile. Monty noticed that she looked tense, though.