𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. the vampire with a fever

Start from the beginning

The two settled back into a small spell of silence. Hayley was stuck on the words that had been spoken; it was as if they had caressed her heart and mind, her eyes dropped towards her bulging belly as her thumb stroked circles into the material covered skin and a smile grew on her lips.

Ophelia, however, was sucked back to the treacherous thoughts of her own dastardly parents. The way they had treated her and her brother was something she could never forgive, the pure hatred in their eyes whenever they looked at their defective children was something she would never forget.

Before her mind was plagued with the darkness of her past, Elijah's pain-filled groans accompanied by a loud bang erupted from inside the cabin and Ophelia was quick to jump to her feet. She placed a comforting hand on the wolf's shoulder before quickly making her way inside.

The original's face was scrunched up in pure agony and his body felt like it was on fire. Sweat pooled over his body and dripped down his skin as he tossed and turned on the bed and without much thought, Ophelia did what she would always do for Kai when he got sick. She lifted Elijah's head with delicate hands and shifted so that she could sit on the bed before placing his head down in her lap, her hair tickling his stubbled cheeks as she looked down at his pain-ridden face.

She used the back of her hands to wipe away the sweat that had gathered on Elijah's forehead as he panted. His eyes darted around the room as if he couldn't recognize where he was, his body was still twisting and turning, but eventually settled as she held his shoulders down. Before Ophelia could even process what was happening, her vision blurred and her head pounded before the scene in front of her changed entirely.

The scene was blurry and different shapes danced across her vision, flashes of a beautiful dark-skinned woman with bundles of gorgeous curls atop her head came into view. Droplets of water covered her as she dragged a sponge across her flawless skin. Her face lit up with a smile that was directed towards somebody on the other side of the room. Warmth shone in her chocolate-colored eyes as she beckoned her visitor to come closer with a teasing grin.

Elijah's desperate hands flew to Ophelia's arms, gripping them like a lifeline, not even registering the way her muscles tensed beneath his palms, "Celeste?" he muttered with a weak voice that was all breath. The skin of her arms burned from beneath his fingertips, something she chalked up to his temperate.

Her voice was as smooth as silk as she called out his name, "Elijah."

His eyes suddenly focused as he realized that he was in fact, hallucinating, and he inhaled sharply at her voice. His dark gaze drifted to where his hands were gripped her arms and he pulled them back as if a shock jolted through him.

His features were downcast, shame for what he was thinking and guilt for what he had caused and brought into Celeste's life. "Ophelia... I'm sorry. I thought you were someone else."

"Celeste? She was gorgeous." Ophelia smiled as she let out a small breath, "You let me into your mind."

"I did?" The man questioned with concern. He sighed at himself, embarrassment towards his own frail mind. In his state he couldn't control who was seeing what played inside of his head, though he had to admit, he was thankful that it was Ophelia and not somebody else. He knew he could trust the woman, that she wouldn't mention what she saw if he expressed his discomfort. But even so, his mind was a dark place, a place he wished for nobody to visit. "I'm not well, I should go. This is..."