Chapter 1 (Submissions for RiderFirnen 's Eragon Writing Contest.)

"Aiedail," my queen called for me. It was time for the dragon eggs to make their rounds to attempt to find their riders. One of the eggs we had was a beautiful ebony black, but I never showed that one to any of the possible riders The other was emerald green just like Fírnen's egg was before he hatched for the queen.

"Coming, my lady," I replied as I walked over to my queen's chair.

"Aiedail, take the eggs into the village for the testing."

Arya handed me the eggs, and I walked out into the village. Many Elves came to see if they were destined to become a Dragon Rider, but none could make the egg hatch. Some of them had come the day before and wished to try again, but still none could cause the hatching of the green egg. As I sat, with the black egg upon my lap, I felt something shake. I looked down to see cracks along the egg, and there was a squeeking noise. I watched as a small black head popped through the shell. The head of the dragon moved quickly, looking around trying to assess its surroundings. I gingerly reached out to touch the dragon's head, and when my hand came into contact with its scales, I felt a weird sensation on my right hand. It was like being tickled with fire and electricity at the same time. The dragon leapt out of its egg onto the table in front of me, and started to snap at people's hands who tried to touch the green egg.

"Don't do that, little one," I cooed to the dragon.

At the sound of my voice, the dragon turned and nuzzled my outstretched hand.

"Well, well, well, it looks like someone has been chosen," a voice came from behind me.

"It would seem so, my queen," I replied turning to face Arya Shur'gatl Shadeslayer Dröttening.

"Come with me. Bring the dragon and the egg."

I followed my queen back to the building we were staying in. My dragon was excited by its new surroundings, but I wouldn't let it roam for fear it would break something. Sitting down in a chair, I held the dragon in my lap, and Arya took the egg.

"Does he have a name?" Arya asked.

"Not yet. It only just hatched today."

"Reach into his mind, Aiedail. Agree on a name together."

I did as I was told, and when my mind touched that of the dragon, I was instantly welcomed. At first all he could show me were images that he plucked from my mind showing me items of death. I didn't understand, so I asked him, 'Why do you show me things of freohr, little one?'

The dragon showed me an image of himself, and repeated, 'Freohr," to me.

'Is that your name?' I asked him.

The dragon nodded.

Arya looked at me questioningly.

"I guess his name is Freohr," I said.

"Eragon would laugh at such a name for a dragon," Arya said sadly.

I nodded, "You miss him, don't you?"

"Yeah, but I have duties as queen. I can't just run off to find him. I don't even know where Eragon went."

"Say that you aren't fit to be queen. I'll help you find him."

Arya looked at me in a strange way. A way I had only seen humans look at someone.

"How would I do that? I can't lie to my people."

"Arya, my queen, I know you better than anyone else, save for Eragon. I know you are constantly distracted thinking of him. Don't try to tell me otherwise," I told her.

"Perhaps you are correct, Aiedail. Maybe I'm not fit for the throne."

"Let's prepare a speech. How long do you think it'll take for them to choose someone else as queen?"

"I don't know, but it doesn't matter," Arya smiled the first smile I'd seen on her face since she became queen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so it took me less time than I expected to write this chapter, but then again, I can't seem to take forever on chapters. I guess it's a shortcoming of mine. I hope you like this.