Chapter 42

She has truly never seen a sight like this.

The pizza they had gotten not five minutes ago was untouched. The wings didn't have a dent. Not even the sodas were cracked open!

However, Ben was fast asleep; his legs wide open, his long arms spread out on the back of the couch, and his head was leaned back with his mouth open. On the right side of him was Cillian curled up to him and fast asleep. To left was Ethan, also curled up to Ben and asleep.

They had gotten back from the marina about an hour and a half ago. The boys were rushing with adrenaline and starving, so she ordered the pizza. Ben, who was also running on adrenaline, played some high energy game with the boys.

When the pizza got here, they were ecstatic and Cassie said she'd bring it in. Well, this is what she walked into.

She didn't want to disturb them, but Eleanore was going to be here any moment to pick up Cillian and Cassie didn't need her thinking she doesn't feed him. So, she very gently woke him without waking the other two and got them both a slice of pizza and some wings.

They sat in the kitchen so they wouldn't disturb Ethan or Ben.

"Cassie," Cillian said after a few minutes of silence to start, "can I tell you something?" Cassie put down her pizza and wiped her hands as she told him, "Of course, sweetie." He looked deep in thought, before saying, "Today was so much fun. I never thought I'd go in the water like we did and see all that we saw. It was all because of you. I really like you and my dad together. You make him happy and you make me happy, also. Thank you, really."

Cassie thought her heart was going to burst! She actually had tears welling up in her eyes! "Oh, sweetie, it's my pleasure. I love you and your dad so much, there isn't anything I wouldn't do for you both. If you ever want to go back to the marina, let me know and I will happily do that for you." Without saying anything, Cillian got up from the table and hugged her. She gave him a loving squeeze and a kiss on the head. This was the first time they were left alone to talk like this and it was so nice.

Unfortunately, the moment did have to end. A knock on the door told Cassie that Eleanore was here. "Grab a few slices to go and I'll get your mom," she told Cillian. He did as he was told, while she got the door.

"Hey, Eleanore," Cassie kindly greeted. "Come on in, Cill's just grabbing his things." Eleanore stepped in and timidly took a look around. "Do you want me to get Ben?" Cassie asked her. "He and Ethan are passed out on the couch."

Eleanore shook her head. "No, that's okay. Um...how was it today?" Before Cassie could answer, Cillian came running in—with a sleepy Ben trailing behind—saying, "It was so much fun! We saw sea turtles and all sorts of fish! We even saw seals, but no sharks. I really wanted to see one of those."

For the first time ever, Cassie actually saw Eleanore smile! It was a genuine smile!

"That's great, honey," Eleanore told him. "You can tell Eric and I all about it on the way home." Cillian peeked his head around her to look out the door and saw Eric waiting in the car. Suddenly, he didn't seem so happy.

"Do tell Eric to play nice," Ben told her as he handed her Cillian's bag. She scoffed, "You already told him yourself, apparently. He hasn't been the same since." Ben nodded in approval. "Good," he said, "so he listens."

Eleanore rolled her eyes, then said, "Let's go, Cill." Cillian gave Ben a hug, but then hugged Cassie extra tight. Once he was gone and the door was closed, Ben asked, "What was that all about?" Cassie shrugged, then told him, "Nothing. Cill and I had a good talk is all. You have an amazing son, you know that?"

He smiled and followed her into the kitchen as he said, "Fortunately, I do. Both of our boys are pretty spectacular." Cassie stepped into the living room to check on Ethan. "Yeah," she said, "they are. However, I have come to realize that Ethan is getting too old to be carried to bed, which makes me sad. I miss him as a baby. Hell, I miss just having a baby around in general. That's why I was...never mind."

She shook her head from her thoughts, then went over to Ethan and woke him up. He grabbed some food, and then took it to his room. Cassie suspected she'd walk in to find a half eaten pizza dangling from his mouth in the morning.

When she was getting ready to go to sleep herself, Ben was sitting up in bed waiting for her. He watched her get out of her clothes and into her pajamas, then walk into the bathroom to clean her face. He watched as she came back out, rubbing lotion on her arms, then getting into bed.

She caught him staring a while ago, but now it was just getting weird. "What?" She asked with a nervous laugh. "Do I have something on my face?" He smiled softly at her, then leaned in until their noses were grazing. "As a matter of fact," he said, "you do. It's right here."

He filled the gap between their lips with a soft, yet tender kiss. When he pulled away, he moved his hand over her stomach. "I know you were looking forward to having that baby," he told her. "We haven't talked about this part of it much because it's a bit touchy, but I want you to know that I was looking forward to it, as well. If could have another beautiful child, I wouldn't want it to be with anyone else. I know in my soul that it was mine and not Joel's, which makes it hurt all the more."

He wiped away a stray tear that had made it's way down her cheek. "I had this whole plan," he continued. "I was going to ask you to move in with me, or me with you. After you or I got settled into one of our places, I was going to ask Ethan his permission to marry you. If he gave me his blessing, I was going to take you out on the most romantic dinner you've ever had. I was going to wine and dine you so good, baby. I was going to suggest a walk in the park, and then work up the nerve to get down on one knee and ask you to be my wife."

Cassie was full on crying now, but he was catching her tears with his thumbs as he cradled her face. "I still want all of that with you, Cassie, baby or not. God, I want to spend the rest of my life with you, sweetheart. You, me, our boys and a baby or two of our own. You were exactly who I was meant to be with all this time."

He was met with a wet, tearful kiss. "I want all of that with you, Ben," she cried. "You're right, I was looking forward to that baby and I almost said it earlier. Above all, though, I look forward to being with you. Everyday, I just want to be near you and hold you, hear your voice. I've never loved anyone like I love you, Benedict. One of these days, let's move in together. Let's get married and have kids. Only when we're ready, though, because...let's face it, we're not. You were going to do all of that because I was pregnant. You still harbor feeling towards Eleanore and her boyfriend, I'm still dealing with Joel and not trying to get Ethan in the mix. It's a crazy time for both of us, but we're not ready. There's no way."

Ben looked like he wanted to argue...but couldn't. She was absolutely right. He was sad about that reality, but also somewhat relieved. No, he wouldn't have regretted it and he's sure she wouldn't either, but why bring marriage and babies into the mix right now? It wouldn't be fair to anyone involved.

"You are so right," he told her. "One day, baby. One day."

She ran her hand down his cheek as she said, "One day."