"Yes sir."

~~~~

I hovered in the doorway to the living room. Dad looked up from the T.V.,

"What?"

"Can-Can I sit in here?" I didn't know where else to go.

"It's your house too Mia."

"I don't wanna bother you." He shrugged. I sat on the opposite side of the couch, fidgeting with my hands nervously.

"Did you finish your homework?"

"I-I tried. And all the extra stuff."

"It better bring your grade up." I nodded.

"Do you need anything?"

"I need you to try harder Mia."

"I'm doing my best.", I whispered.

"Well it doesn't show."

~~~~

I stood in front of Ms. Reynolds,

"Look, I know we don't get along. But I will do literally anything to get my grade up in here."

"Why? So your scores go up because your dad owns the school?"

"It's not my choice either, okay? My parents died, Alex had to take me in because he's my godfather. I have nowhere else to go. I'm sorry that I'm such an inconvenience to everyone here but I'm pretty stuck. I-I just need to get my grade up. Please." She sighed,

"Fine. I'll go in and fix it."

"What'd you mean?"

"I've only been taking seventy percent of what you're doing." I froze.

"So-So I'm not stupid?" She shrugged, sighing. "Do-Do you understand how mad my dad has been with me about this? How much time and effort he and I put in to fix it before he just gave up? And I was right the whole time?"

"Look, I'm fixing it, okay!?" I hesitated for a second before leaving the room.

"Why are you late to class?", dad asked sternly. My feet stopped in the hall,

"I-I-I was talking to-to Ms. Reynolds sir."

"How's your grade look?"

"She-", I paused, "Better I think." He'd never believe me, "I-I'm sorry I'm not as smart as Jake.", I whispered.

"Just get to class Mia."

~~~~

I was in a dangerous daze all day. I didn't work most if my classes and even in dad's, I couldn't stay focused.

"Mia!" I jumped as dad snapped at me. "Where's your work?" My heart stopped.

"I-I-I um- I-I for-forgot it s-sir." He paused,

"Okay." Ashlyn looked to me, shocked, as I just zoned back out. Before long, I heard the bell ring. I didn't move. "Why didn't you do your work?"

"I was focused on science."

"You need to balance your classes better Mia."

"I'm sorry. I thought you wanted that to be my priority."

"Yes but you can't ignore other classes too."

"Yes sir. I'm sorry."

"Let's go home.", he sighed. I got up and followed him out and to the apartment building. When we got upstairs, I followed dad aimlessly for a bit. "What are you doing?", he asked as I hovered in the kitchen.

"I-I don't know. What'd you want me to do?" I felt like I couldn't breathe without being told to.

"I don't know Mia. Work on homework or clean your room."

"What? Wh-Which one?", I panicked slightly. He looked back at me confused,

"Mia what the fuck is your problem today kid?" I opened my mouth to speak but all that came out was a soft cry as my hand flew over my mouth,

"I'm sorry.", I choked out, brushing away tears, "I'm-I'm s-sorry. I'm sorry I-I-I just don't know wh-what to do." I sat on the kitchen floor as dad sat across from me, "Just-Just tell me what to do. Please.", I begged softly.

"Mia, calm down.", he said. I heard his bitchy attitude from the past few days begin to falter, "Hey, breathe. It's okay."

"I-I'm sorry. I'm sorry they're dead and-and I'm your problem and I'm sorry you can't get rid of me and I'm not as smart as Jake. I'm sorry I can't do anything right. I'm sorry I'm such a burden. I'm so sorry.", I cried. He pulled me to his chest tightly, petting my hair,

"Baby, calm down. Shh. Stop crying, you're getting too worked up. Breathe." Eventually I'd calmed down as he held me tightly, "You aren't a problem. I could never give you away. And you are incredibly smart. No one is good at everything. You are not and have never been a burden."

"I don't believe you.", I sniffled slightly.

"What can I do to make you believe me?"

"I-I don't know."

"Then I guess I'll just have to prove it."