"Save me a dance will you."

Charlotte open her mouth to reply but before she could, the phone clicked off.

Klaus had hung up on her.

Charlotte spent at least twenty minutes begging Matt to ditch Rebekah for the ball and go with her instead but his conscience wouldn't let him. She was 'going' with Damon but she knew he was useless, they'd spend ten minutes together and then he'd abandon her to go find Elena and Klaus would swoop in. She half considered playing a poor baby sister card but she wasn't so sure she actually wanted Damon to play protective big brother.

Really she just wanted to not have to sort out her feelings quite yet, she wanted more time to figure out what she wanted. After the way their time ended in Chicago she'd been so sure she was over Klaus and hated him but each interaction since made it harder for her to stand by that and after the night before she felt even more confused.

She wore the dress Klaus had gifted her, her wardrobe was still dismally small and she didn't have anything else nearly appropriate. It was a long silver gown that seemed to glitter and catch the light as she moved with sheer sleeves and a neckline that lay low. Her hair was pulled from her face, falling down her back in soft waves that shone silky smooth.

As they walked through the Mikaelson mansion Damon swiped glasses of champagne for them both before grabbing a third and directing them towards Carol Lockwood.

"Hello Carol," Damon greeted as he passed her the glass, "hanging out with your new besties?"

"I'm the Mayor, Damon," Carol sounded resigned as she replied shooting a smile to Charlotte who'd waved as they approached, "When the oldest, deadliest family of vampires moves into your town, you welcome them with a smile."

"Hmm. Well, at least you know who you're borrowing that cup of sugar from."

"I'm trying to protect this town. They've assured me they want peace and I've assured them that I'd enforce it."

"Mayor Lockwood," Kol came bounding over with his hand out, "We haven't formally met. Kol Mikaelson," Kol pulled the Mayor's hand to his mouth kissing it before continuing, "We hope your lovely town embraces us just as much as we plan to embrace it."

"Damon Salvatore," Damon cut in, holding his hand out, "have we met?"

"I've met a lot of people and you don't particularly stand out," Kol replied glancing over Damon disdainfully and ignoring his hand. Charlotte fought back a laugh at the scowl on Damons face after this and Kol turned his sights on her, "Hello darling, I certainly haven't met you yet, although I do remember your pretty face."

"Charlotte Salvatore," she said, smiling with amusement when he pulled her hand and kissed it as he had the Mayor's. Charlotte and Kol were from more similar time periods than most here, although Charlotte had been awake for a few months more than Kol, both retained the manners appropriate when they were last alive and well.

"Oh my sister told me about a Charlotte," Kol said with a grin that caused Damons face to sour, "You're the one my brother is so fond of, I presume."

"Something like that," Damon cut in protectively, hoping to direct the conversation away from another Original vampire bonding with Charlotte.

"Wonderful," Kol replied still ignoring Damon, "well darling I hope you can save me a dance."

Kol was still holding her hand but he finally released it, turning and walking away from Charlotte much to Damons relief. She felt flustered after talking to Kol, his words came out as smoothly as his brothers, snaking along, so slippery it was hard to get a thought in.