8. Defence Against The Dark Arts

Start from the beginning

There was a dull murmur throughout the class.

"I think we'll try that again," said Professor Umbridge, "when I ask you a question, I should like you to reply, 'Yes, Professor Umbridge', or 'No, Professor Umbridge'. So: has everyone got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?"

"Yes, Professor Umbridge." I chanted along with the rest of the class.

"Good," smiled Professor Umbridge, "I should like you to turn to page five and read 'Chapter One, Basics for Beginners'. There will be no need to talk."

I opened the book, only to be bored instantly and turned my attention to the other people in the class. The brown-haired girl had her hand up.

"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?" Umbridge asked.

"Not about the chapter." the girl said.

"Well, we're reading just now," said Professor Umbridge, "if you have other queries we can deal with them at the end of class."

"I've got a query about your course aims."

Professor Umbridge raised her eyebrows. "And your name is?"

"Hermione Granger."

The name seemed oddly familiar to me, I was very happy that I knew her name know even though it felt like a very familiar name, like the name of someone I used to know.

"Well, Miss Granger, I think the course aims are perfectly clear if you read them through carefully" said Professor Umbridge.

"Well, I don't," said Hermione bluntly, "there's nothing written up there about using defensive spells."

"Using defensive spells?" Professor Umbridge repeated with a little laugh. "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"

"We're not going to use magic?" the ginger boy exclaimed loudly.

"Students raise their hands when they wish to speak in my class, Mr- ?"

"Weasley."

That surname also sounded familiar to me.

Professor Umbridge made her way to sit down when Hermione raised her hand in the air again.

"Yes, Miss Granger? You wanted to ask something else?"

"Yes," said Hermione, "surely the whole point of Defence Against the Dark Arts is to practice defensive spells?"

"Are you a Ministry-trained educational expert, Miss Granger?" asked Professor Umbridge, in her falsely sweet voice.

"No, but-"

"Well then, I'm afraid you are not qualified to decide what the whole point of any class is. You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way."

"What use is that?" said Harry Potter loudly. "If we're going to be attacked, it won't be in a-"

"Hand, Mr Potter!"

I raised my hand. "If we get attacked, that isn't very risk free is it?"

"I'm sorry Mr-"

"Malfoy." I said bitterly.

"I repeat," said Professor Umbridge, "do you expect to be attacked during my classes?"

"No-"

Professor Umbridge talked over me. "I do not wish to criticise the way things have been run in this school, but you have been exposed to some very irresponsible wizards in this class, very irresponsible indeed...not to mention, extremely dangerous Half-breeds."

"If you mean Professor Lupin," a boy said angrily, "he was the best we ever-"

"Hand! As I was saying, you have been introduced to spells that have been complex, inappropriate to your age group and potentially lethal. You have been frightened into believing that you are likely to meet Dark attacks every other day. It is my understanding that my predecessor not only performed illegal curses in front of you, he actually performed them on you."

"Well, he turned out to be a maniac, didn't he?" said Weasley hotly.

"Your hand is not up, Mr Weasley!" trilled Professor Umbridge. "Now, it is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be more than sufficient to get you through your examination, which, after all, is what school is all about."

"What about the practical bit in our O.W.Ls?" I asked.

"Hand please Mr Malfoy. As long as you have studied the theory hard enough, there is no reason why you should not be able to perform the spells under carefully controlled examination conditions," said Professor Umbridge dismissively.

Anger broke out in the class.

"And what good's theory going to be in the real world?" said Harry Potter loudly, his fist in the air.

Professor Umbridge looked up. "This is school, Mr Potter, not the real world."

"So we're not supposed to be prepared for what's waiting for us out there?"

"There is nothing waiting out there, Mr Potter."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourselves?"

"Hmm, let's think..." said Harry in a mock thoughtful voice, "maybe...Lord Voldemort?"

Silence.

"Ten points from Gryffindor, Mr Potter."

Umbridge paused before speaking. "Now, let me make a few things quite plain. You have been told that a certain Dark wizard has returned from the dead-"

"He wasn't dead," said Harry angrily, "but yeah, he's returned!"

Umbridge shot Harry a glare. "As I was saying, you have been informed that a certain Dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie."

"It is not a lie!" said Harry. "I saw him, I fought him!"

"Detention, Mr Potter!" said Professor Umbridge. "I repeat, this is a lie. The Ministry of Magic guarantees that you are not in danger from any Dark wizard. If you are still worried, by all means come and see me outside class hours. If someone is alarming you with fibs about reborn Dark wizards, I would like to hear about it. I am here to help. I am your friend."

Professor Umbridge sat down behind her desk. Harry, however, stood up. "So, according to you, Y/N L/N dropped dead of his own accord, did he?'

"Y/N L/N's death was a tragic accident," Umbridge said coldly.

"It was murder," said Harry, "Voldemort killed him and you know it."

It wasn't rare that there was another kid with my name, it just seemed odd and very coincidental. I turned and looked at Draco, he had a lot of explaining to do.