“Thats…cool?” I responded, biting my cheek.

We fell into an awkward silence for a moment. 

“Right, so I should go. The team’s probably waiting for me.” He says hastily, practically jumping from his spot at the ledge of the table and running out the door.

I watched him go silently, confused, and worried about our conversation.

He was a ninja, I knew he must have some trauma, but stumbling upon it was still troubling.

Shaking my head I headed to my room to get ready, I have a big day ahead of me. 

Once done I locked up the apartment and made my way through Konoha.

I wasn’t sure exactly where but I knew Asuma trained with his team on ground eight, hopefully, I could ask around a little and find him. 

It wasn’t easy, but eventually, after asking almost everyone I saw, I made it to training ground eight.

Asuma and his team were, thankfully, there and seemed to be sparring. I watched patiently, awed that such young children could be so skilled.

The ninja life was really something else, compared to mine at least.

Eventually, the spars ended as Asuma directed the children to take a rest.

Then he jogged over to me with a pleased little smile. 

“Lady (Y/N), it’s been a while.” He said, sliding an arm over my shoulder to give me a side hug. 

“Asuma, it’s wonderful to see you. And please, it’s just (Y/N) now, (Y/N) (L/N).” I smiled but then pursued my lips.

“Or wait, no it’s (Y/N) Hatake now.”

Asuma rubbed the back of his neck before lighting a cigarette.

Shaking my head I got back to the task at hand. 

“Asuma, if…someone like me was to look for somewhere to work…where, uh, where would I go?” I squeaked out, blushing at my incompetence.

Asuma seemed to think for a moment before his eyes lit up. 

“The Hokage tower! The Old Man’s been dying over paperwork, he just fired his last secretary too. If you want you can come with us, my team’s got a mission to sign up for and we’re heading there.”

I blinked, taken aback by my luck.

But then I bit my lip. 

“I don’t know, the Hokage is the most powerful man in the Village, being bad at a job specific to him…” I groaned anxiously.

Asuma gave a light chuckle and patted my shoulder. 

“Don’t worry, you’ll do fine. Come on, it’s worth a try right?” He asked encouragingly and I nodded miserably.

“Why do you want to work anyways? I thought Kakashi was taking care of everything?” 

“I don’t need him to!” I snapped at him, glaring.

Asuma held his hands up in surrender. 

“I just meant that as a-” 

“I’m well aware I’m financially set.” I growled through grit teeth.

Sniffing, I looked away hotly.

“Mother always said a wife belonged in the home, but I’m going crazy doing nothing all day.”