Chapter Seven-Group Projects Suck

Start from the beginning

"But there are things that are unforgivable, Lily," I tell her and shrink in my seat when the boys come in and avoid my eyes.

Class sucks. Professor Sprout goes on about some cabbage that eats carrots, but all I'm aware of is James and Sirius avoiding my eyes, then staring at me when I look away. Lily gives them a few glares herself, but I discourage her. I'm in the wrong here, not them. After Herbology is Care of Magical Creatures with the Slytherins which does not help with the boys' mood. Now, I'm the one who wanders away from them and run into a familiar face.

"Hey, you." I greet the figure clad in green and see his smile before he's even turned around.

"Hey, stranger." Garrett greets me back before Professor Grubblyplank calls for attention. As we turn, I catch Sirius staring at me and fuming. Maybe approaching Garrett wasn't the best idea.

"Now, Bowtruckles don't trust humans since their primary niche is to protect their trees. The best way to earn their trust is to show you care about their environment." He walks around and shoves watering cans into our waiting hands. "Small groups of you will look after a single tree with a group of Bowtruckles on it. How well your Bowtruckles take to you will determine your grade. The group with the best result will receive a special prize!" Grubblyplank hands out the final can before clapping his hands together happily. "Alright! Groups of three to four! Assemble, assemble!" He shouts and Garrett and I instantly look to one another.

"Partners?" We say at the same time, then grin.

"Think you can handle being around me for that long?" He teases and I shrug.

"We'll see who comes out alive at the end of it, I suppose." I tease back and it feels good just to smile and not worry for a minute. "Kinda need a third member though." We both look for an availability, and I spy Lily, but the look on her face isn't a happy one. My brows furrow before I realize she's with Remus, James, and Peter. But where's Sirius?

"Mind if I join?" His voice is cold when he speaks and my eyes shut with dread, but there's no doubt that it's Sirius. I turn to face him, but his eyes are on Garrett.

"Sirius, are you sure-"

"Alright! Groups are made. Get to it, everyone!" Grubblyplank interrupts me and any hope I had drops to the bottom of my stomach. Sirius smirks.

"Settled then. Mind getting the water, mate?" Sirius asks Garrett who looks to me. I nod with an apologetic expression which he shrugs off before walking towards the well. Only then does Sirius look at me. "So, you prefer green to red after all?" He says and I sigh.

"Sirius, that isn't what this is about."

"You don't even deny it?"

"This isn't personal."

"Then what the hell is it?"

"I'm just-!" I hiss, but can't finish without telling him everything. We stare off another minute before I turn away and rip open a bag of fertilizer. "Let's just get through this." It's quiet for a moment as I start shoveling fertilizer into the small square where our tree stands.

"Is that all you have to say to me?" His voice is softer now and I can see his face without even looking at him. His slightly furrowed brows over big, stormy eyes, downturned mouth, and the little way he leans forward toward whoever he's talking to. I can't resist looking up and seeing exactly what I suspected. I let the little spade fall back into the bag as I stand and look into his eyes. My hand reaches out and grabs his, squeezing tight.

"I...I care about you so much." My voice is almost pleading so that he'll believe me. His fingers wrap around mine before Garrett comes back and I let go. I lean back down and fiendishly shovel fertilizer around the tree. Both men are silent as Garrett pours the water over the fertilizer I while Sirius just stands there with his arms crossed.