06. when jess met everleigh

Start from the beginning

    The Gilmore mother steps away from the two but before passing Rory she says, "Told you she'd come around."

    Rory squints her eyes at her mother and watches as she disappears up the stairs, once Lorelai is out of sight, the girl reaches out for the basket. The Morgan girl notes the way she's eyeing the thing in her hands and says, "Don't worry, I haven't poisoned it."

    "You didn't have to do all this, " Rory admits.

    Everleigh shrugs, "You are my best friend's girlfriend and us not getting along will just make his life harder. Even though that's my goal."

    "Thank you." The teen says but even Everleigh could hear the uneasiness in her tone. Seconds later, she pushes further, "What's the twist?"

    Everleigh lifts her hands up, "There's no twist. Just me making peace. That's all."

    And winning a bet, she thinks to herself again.

    "Why am I having a hard time believing you right now?" Rory wonders and starts walking away, making Everleigh trailing behind.

    Passing through the living room to the kitchen, she watches how Rory places the basket on the table and eyes the treats inside of it. Everleigh crosses arms as she shrugs, "Possibly because we can't seem to get along but I heard you give people second chances."

    "So you want us to be friends all of the sudden?" Rory pushes further, trying to see Everleigh to crack under the pressure but she wouldn't budge.

    "Yes?" Everleigh tries, "Just don't expect me to make you a friendship bracelet, wouldn't want to make others jealous."

    "There goes my hopes I guess," Rory mumbles back sarcastically, not noticing the other teen's attention going elsewhere. As Everleigh was taking in their kitchen, she found herself staring at a bedroom that had doors left open. Inviting herself in the room, she looks around. Noticing the absence of Everleigh in the kitchen, she follows after her, "You shouldn't be in here. That's my ━"

    "You're planning to go to Harvard?" Everleigh asks, interrupting her as she continues to stare at the big Harvard board in her bedroom. Her voice sounding so small and innocent. The moment her eyes wandered around the house and landed on the big vision board, she couldn't help herself but to have a closer look. Especially when it was an Ivy League school. She wasn't sure why but seeing Rory of all people wanting to go to a prestigious college just like her, didn't make her feel any special and different from others. That somehow was disappointing her.

    Not being aware of Everleigh's thoughts, Rory nods her head, "Yeah, always have been."

    "Oh..." Everleigh inhales sharply, avoiding the stinging feeling her chest, "That's... That's nice."

    The Gilmore girl wasn't sure how to follow up the conversation so she asks, "What about you?"

    "Yale." She turns to look at Rory, "I want to study medicine and become a surgeon one day hopefully."

    That takes the other girl by surprise, "Really?"

    "Yeah," She nods her head but stops as soon as she notices the bewildered expression on Rory's face. "What? You don't believe me?"

    "I do. It-It just took me by surprise." Rory says and continues looking away, "At least, we won't have to see each other once we graduate."

    Everleigh exaggerates a gasp as she places a hand on her heart, "Rory Gilmore. Are you already giving up on our friendship?"

     The Gilmore girl presses her lips together, holding back a smile the same way as Everleigh did. Maybe her and Rory had more in common than she thought after all.