"Hey stranger" he sighed waiting until you looked up at him to smile.

"Hi." Watching his eyes take in yours you found yourself smiling as he continued to do the same. "Long time no see"

"Yeah" he chuckled digging his hand into his pocket. "How was uh-"

"Africa."

"Ghana right?"

Nodding you replied “fine.”

He waited a few seconds before continuing. “You’re not going to tell me about all the great adventures you had over there?”

"Not really. Wouldn’t want to bore you."

"Bore me? I think that won’t be a problem since we haven’t talked for a year."

"It’s not like you were blowing up my phone with love messages."

"Sure you didn’t get any? I think I might’ve sent two or three your way."

Rolling your eyes you laugh as he reached over to lightly bump your chin.

"So, are you back here for good or are you still trying to save the world?"

"One country at a time."

"Where you headed this time?"

Shrugging you run your fingers through your hair before sighing. “I don’t know, but traveling the world seems so much better than staying in LA you know?”

"Yeah. I’m just offended you never want to bring me along."

"You and me, traveling the world together I don’t think so. Besides you’re a little too high maintenance for me anyway."

"Says the girl who has an entire walk in closet full of heels."

Rolling your eyes you sit your glass aside before closing the distance between you two for a hug.

"I have to go" you sigh as he tightens his grip around you before placing a kiss against your hair. "But I just wanted to say Happy Birthday Kit."

"Wait, no present?" He asked, his refusal to let you go as you try to slip away making heat rush to your cheeks.

"No present."

"No one told you, you can’t leave until you put a gift on the table."

"Don’t tell me, you’re willing to give out suggestions?"

"Only if you don’t have any ideas" he smiles as you lean back to look up at him.

Taking in the playfulness of his eyes you quickly place a kiss on his cheek before smiling “there” as he drops his hold around you.

Just as you were about to leave you felt his hand slip into yours, the way it always did when he had something he wanted to add after a moment of second guessing himself.

"Wanna go swimming?"

"Not really."

"Come on-not even for me?"

"Especially not for you."

"What’s that supposed to mean? It’s my birthday, I thought you were supposed to please the birthday boy."

"I see nothing’s changed" you laugh. "If anything, that big ass head of your’s has gotten bigger while I was gone. Always thinking the world revolves around you."

Not immediately responding he let his smile set in as he chewed on the inside of his cheek for a second before smiling “alright.”

"Alright? That’s it?"

Taking in your raised eye brow he pointed over his shoulder.

"Yeah, like you said you gotta go and I have a party to host."

"Besides" taking a glance over his shoulder you pointed to the group of girls who’s eyes were still on you two. "Pretty sure your lady friends are getting restless. Wouldn’t want them getting the wrong idea. Ninety percent sure the blonde in the red is going for the birthday sex tonight."

Rolling his eyes he took a sip from his beer before glancing back at you.

"So when will I see you again?"

He asked the sudden change of expression on his face making you remain where you are.

"I don’t know…didn’t know you wanted to see me again."

"Wouldn’t have invited you if I didn’t."

Shaking your head you mentally kick yourself for not being able to suppress the smile spreading across your face.

The one thing about growing up with him is that you can read Kit like an open book which is exactly why you know exactly where he’s trying to go with this.

"Whatever happened to, ‘next time I’ll take you on a date first?’" You challenge watching his smile grow as memories of your last night together in LA slowly begin to rise to the surface.

Even though you both woke the next morning to blame it on the countless drinks you’d consumed the night before, and the fact no one else was around, you both knew it wasn’t the real reason it happened. Numerous opportunities had risen over the years of your friendship but each time you pushed them away out of fear of what would happen if you two ever actually crossed that line.

Then the night you actually did you ended up leaving for your flight the next morning before he woke up, so talking over the situation was never really an option for you two.

"I don’t know" he shrugged, the step he takes in your direction almost going unnoticed as he licks his lips. "I just figured since we’ve spent twelve years getting to know each other, we can skip the whole awkward dating stage."

"Yeah?"

Nodding a “yeah” he smoothly linked his arm around your waist before quickly lifting you off the ground. His laugh gave you all short of two seconds to catch your breath before feeling the lukewarm water crash over you as you both sank to the bottom of the pool. Shoving your way out of his grip you kick your way to the surface before shoving your hair out of your face and catching your breath.

"So about that date?" He smiled brushing the water from his eyes before reaching for your waist. "Wanna go down to the apartment, lose the wet clothes instead?"

Beating him to it you shoved down on his head ducking him under water.