"She told you about that night?" He asked in awe and I scoffed.

"She didn't need to tell me, I saw you guys." I replied and he kept quiet looking away. I sighed. "Mateo, if there is something going on, you can tell me about it. What happened to not hiding anything from each other. We are best friends." I calmly said.

"What is going on with me is nothing you don't already know, Jamal. My family is broken. My dad is trying to make time for me but sometimes it's not enough and to top it up, my best friend took the girl I like." He muttered the last part but I heard and it enraged me.

"I didn't take Elyon from you! I hate it when you say that. She made her choice and she chose not to be with you, why can't you just accept that fact and move on!" I snapped and he shot me a look.

"Move on? Move on! That girl is the only thing that keeps me sane! Whereas, she just makes you sleep." He snapped back.

"That's so unfair, Mateo. I'll keep saying the same thing. She made her choice. Funny how, nothing is going on between Elyon and I." I told him, at the same time trying to convince myself. Mateo rolled his eyes.

"Of course there isn't." He said with sarcasm. I puffed out air from my mouth in frustration.

"Okay, let's say I did steal Elyon from you, which I didn't. That didn't warrant all the bullshit you did back in school." I told him.

"It was a mistake..." He started.

"You broke my leg, dude. That wasn't a mistake." I growled out.

"I was fücking pissed, okay?!!!" He yelled, catching the attention of a parent near by who shot us a glare as their daughter asked what "fücking" meant. I could have laughed if this wasn't a serious situation. I looked at Mateo and he was heaving. I folded my hand, expecting him to continue.

"I was jealous. I like Elyon, I like her so much but she never stopped talking or asking about you. It was infuriating and annoying but I had to tolerate it because I wanted to be caring, maybe if I was, she would see me the way I saw her. But it didn't work that way..." He trailed off and I exhaled.

"The way you guys grew so close over night scared the shit out of me. I saw the way you looked at her every time and I couldn't help me. I tried to be the best friend but I couldn't let her go, not when she holds the key to my sanity." He looked at me with bloodshot eyes.

"Jamal, you have done a lot of things for me in the past and in the present. I was unfair to you. You didn't deserve my attitude and my toxicity. It would be hard getting over Elyon, it would be hard seeing you two together, but I'll try to be civil." He stood up, I stood up as well.

"Mateo, I never took Elyon from you. She made her choice." I repeated to him, he gave me a small smile and nodded.

"I know." With that, he turned around and left. I sighed and threw my head back.

Well that went quite well. At least we didn't throw punches.

******

I pressed the door bell and the doorknob rattled before the finally opener and Aunt Lyla opened the door. She beamed when she saw me. I smiled back.

"Jamal, what are surprise. How are you?" She asked me as she stepped aside and allowed me to walk in.

"I'm very fine, thank you ma. I actually came here to get Elyon. I don't know if she's in." I looked around the house and up the stairs that led to Elyon's room and back to Aunt Lyla.

"Is she expecting you?" She asked me but I shook my head.

"No, it's actually a..." I started

"Jamal." I heard my name from a familiarly alluring voice and looked up, my eyes meeting Elyon's own as she descended from the stairs.