𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 (𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟏)

The Byers Residence | Fri 6:58 PM
Will Byers

While Lonnie was watching the TV(with the volume turned all the way up), Will snuck into the hallway and dialed the number of someone he desperately needed some advice from. As the phone rang, Will would check around the corner and make sure Lonnie wasn't looking his way. Soon, the line picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hey Mike! It's me." Will said excitedly to the guy on the phone.

"Hey Will!" He said before pausing to listen to to the background and ask, "What is that?"

"Oh nothing, anyways how's Derry?"

Will had missed his hometown and wanted to go back someday to visit his old friends. He was in a group of eight, including himself. They called themselves 'the losers club' and had recruited Will the first time he left Hawkins and came to Derry. In Derry, Will wouldn't get singled out and bullied. If he was messed with, then the losers club was also messed with.

"Same as always, now tell my why you really called."

Mike knew that if Will was risking being caught by his rage-aholic father then whatever he needed was urgent.

"So there's this homecoming dance and I just wanted to know if you think I should go or not. I'm kind of on the fence about it."

Mike thought for a moment and then said, "Well you didn't go to any dances last year, so maybe this year you should. For the experience."

Before Will could answer, he was interrupted by Lonnie who's torso was turned and leaning on the side of the couch, looking at Will with the phone in his hand. "Who you talking to?" Lonnie asked while taking another swig of his beer.

"M-Mom!" Will said a little too nervously.

Lonnie squinted his eyes at him and said, "Let her work."

"Bye Mom! See you when you get home." Will said into the phone, loud enough for him to hear. Will hung up the phone and placed it back on the wall.

"Go get me another beer." Lonnie said while turning to look back at the TV.

Will hurried to the kitchen and opened the fridge, being hit by cold air, contrasting with the humid air in the rest of the house. He grabbed a beer out of the pack on the top row of the fridge. Then, he closed the door and walked back over to Lonnie, handing him the bottle and wiping the wet debris on the side of his shorts.

"Hey, Dad?" Will said while looking down at his feet and fiddling with his fingers. Lonnie stayed in the same position, signaling Will to continue. "Can I borrow a suit?"

These five words were like music to Lonnie's ears. He immediately got up and went to his and Joyce's room, Will following shortly behind. Lonnie went straight to the closet and pulled out a box from the bottom.

"I wore this to my senior prom." He said while grabbing the box and going to sit on the bed.

Will sat next to him as he pulled the suit out of the box, complete with a red button-up and matching tie. They marveled at it in unison. Lonnie handed it to his son and Will got up and went to their bathroom down the hall.

He closed the door behind himself and began to strip down and put the suit on. He rested the tie around his neck—not knowing how to tie it—and then looked in the mirror. He shifted side to side and posed with his hands in the pockets of his pants.

He left the bathroom, not wanting to make his father wait long. As soon as he stepped in the room, Lonnie looked up to him and flashed a warm smile, one Will didn't see very often. His proud expression made Will think about how Lonnie wasn't that bad when he wasn't drunk (still not sober but at least not drunk).

I mean it's not like he'd kill anybody, right? Will thought.

Lonnie got up and proceeded to tie the black and red striped tie around Will's neck. "You gotta girl you tryna' impress?" He asked.

Will knew if he told the truth he could risk ruining this moment, so he told his dad what he desperately wanted to hear.

"Yeah." Will breathed out.

"What's her name?" Lonnie asked, prying him for more information.

His name is...

"Michael—." he answered, thinking out loud.

Lonnie paused for a moment in confusion, still not realizing that Will was talking about a boy. Will was completely frozen with fear, trying to quickly think of something to take him out of the situation he put himself in.

"—a. Michaela." Will lied.

"Well Michaela is a very lucky girl." Lonnie said while patting on his sons back.

"Thanks dad."

And just like that, the moment ended.

***

Will grabbed the phone and dialed Dustin's number. He patiently let it rung until he picked up. "Meet me in the front of the school." He quickly says.

Will said his goodbyes to his father and then walked outside to those pinewood trees he knows all too well. He looked up at the stars that were plentiful that night as he picked up his bike off the dirt road.

Will mounted his vehicle and began pedaling away to his destination. The breeze felt particularly calming that night, causing his hair to move back and forth with the trees. He felt at peace for this little ride, even though he knew it wouldn't last long as he got closer to the busier town up ahead.

To be continued...

Part 2 coming tomorrow (maybe)
—Vaeh Joi

[6/30/20 | 958 words]