Rhyolite

Toph crunched right through the dango stick she held. The wood splintered under her teeth.

"Whoah!" Her newest friend snorted with laughter as she spat out wood and bits of sweet.

Kakashi had told her that she wasn't allowed in with the Senseis or the students, and had left her in the care of some dude named Gekkou....

...Who she promptly ditched in favor of outside....

...Where she had met a woman who had introduced herself only as The Dango Goddess. She had invited Toph up onto the roof besides her and she shared these little balls of sweetness on sticks.

Toph had changed her name to Lady Dango.

"Careful there!"

Toph felt herself grinning. "You said every part of dango was delicious."

"Not the stick!" Lady Dango laughed. "I like you, kid."

"It's Melon Lord to you, peasant," Toph picked a splinter out of her tongue and grinned wider.

"Pfft," the older woman offered her another stick of dango.

Toph slipped the top ball off and chewed with relish. "Where did people come up with the concept of dango, anyway?"

"I'm more concerned with how you've never had dango before, deprived child." Lady Dango replied. "Oh, sorry, I meant Melon Lord."

"Meh," Toph said through her half-chewed mouthful.

Lady Dango snorted, then leaned back to check the position of the sun. "I have to get going soon, kiddie. I'm an exam proctor."

"Oh, not you too!" Toph sighed. "Exam this, exam that. Everybody interesting is busy running around like ostrich horses for the exam!"

She got the feeling that Lady Dango was giving her an odd look. "Are you already a chuunin or something?"

"I'm not a ninja at all, I'm afraid," Toph slid another piece of dango off the stick and into her mouth.

"You don't seem like a civilian," Lady Dango remarked.

"Never said I was," Toph mumbled through the treat in her mouth.

"Miss Bei Fong!" Someone was yelling. A hoarse, whispery, coughing voice. Toph stuffed the last sphere into her mouth and feigned innocence.

Lady Dango cocked her head, sending subtle vibrations through the roof tiles. "Is someone missing?"

Toph shrugged, chewing.

"Miss Bei Fong!"

"Oi! Stop all that racket. Can't you see we're trying to eat on peace?" Lady Dango suddenly yelled. Toph jumped and almost choked on her mouthful as the Gekkou dude suddenly landed on the roof and in her range.

"Aha! There you are!" Gekkou-ruiner-of-all-things-good-and-fun wheezed over to her. "Hatake told me to keep my eyes on you."

"Do you know this man, Melon Lord?" Lady Dango asked, for the most part ignoring him.

"I'm afraid not, Lady Dango," Toph swallowed hard and managed to not die a terrible death by dessert. "My guardian most certainly didn't dump him on me because he was a sensei and he needed to go do the hangout with the other Senseis thing."

There was a slight pause.

Then; "so what's her real name?"

Toph clutched her heart dramatically. "Why?"

Lady Dango ignored her.

"Toph Bei Fong. She's the-" he lowered his voice but Toph still heard him anyway. "Hokage attacker."