𝟏𝟎.

Hawkins High | Wed 11:01 AM
Mike Wheeler

Mike left his third period with one person on his mind: Will Byers. He had been planning their next encounter for days now, pushing back the date every time he got close to actually talking to him.

Today however, he was feeling confident. Instead of going to Will right away, he went to his best friend to see if he could learn a thing or two about him first.

"Hey, your Dustin right?" Mike asked the boy while he was at his locker.

"Yeah..." Dustin said with a confused expression on his face, remembering their previous encounter a week prior.

"Your friends with Will right? You mind telling me what he's in to?" Mike asked eagerly.

"Um...ok, well, he likes this game called dungeons and dragons, comics, and the arcade." Dustin said, listing a few things off the top of his head.

Dustin would stand up to Troy, but he wasn't ready to speak his mind to the other 'popular' people just yet.

Mike smiled at his statement. Him and Will pretty much liked all the same things.

"Ok, bye Dustin! See ya around!" Mike said while walking away.

"Bye..." Dustin said, still somewhat shocked that Mike would speak more than two words to him.

***

Lucas and Mike sat by themselves at their table, talking and eating while waiting for the other half of the group.

"You seen the girls? Lunch's almost over." Lucas asked impatiently while looking over at Mike.

Mike looked around the Cafeteria until he spotted the girls walking towards the table side by side. Both looked flustered, had bright pink lips, and messed up clothes.

"Jesus what happened to you two? Y'all were in the bathroom going at it?" Lucas asked while laughing to himself.

Although the girls didn't laugh at the joke, Mike was hysterical. He laughed so hard that tears started to form in the corners of his eyes.

"Mike it wasn't that funny!" El said seriously.

"It's just...the look...on your faces-" he said in between laughs.

"Oh whatever, what did we miss?" Max said while sliding in the seat next to Lucas.

"Other the entire lunch period, nothing much." he said while Mike nodded in agreement.

The continued to talk amongst each other for the last 5 minutes of lunch they had, and then went to their 4th periods.

***

Mike spotted Will on the bleachers, noticing how this had become routine for the boy. Mike decided that now was his chance to finally talk to him since he had about a 15 minute break.

Mike jogged over to Will eagerly and sat next to him. Will was too focused to notice Mike leaning over his shoulder and watching him draw. After a couple of minutes, Mike finally spoke up.

"That looks really good." He said, causing Will to jump and almost fall back.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare ya."

"It's ok...what do you want?" Will asked straight forwardly.

From that statement alone, he knew he was annoying Will. All he was trying to do was sit and draw in peace, but of course Mike had to ruin that. Maybe he should lea—

"I was wondering, if we could hang out some time?" Mike said in one breath.

Mike looked calm but he was internally hyperventilating over the fact that the words actually left his mouth and what Will's answer would be. He couldn't tell much from his facial expressions except that he was in deep thought about Mike's question.

After two minutes, Will finally answered, "Um ok, T-Tell me when."

Mike was completely shocked, but he was still trying to make it seem like he didn't care what Will's answer was, so he continued to speak.

"How about tomorrow? You gotta piece of paper?"

Will handed Mike a blank sheet of paper and a pencil out of his bag. Mike took the items and began writing his number and address.

"If you get lost it's the last house on the left."

Will nodded and took the paper, stuffing it back into his bag. Mike smiled at him one last time before getting back to the field, feeling very accomplished.

***

"What were you doing talking to that Byers kid?" Lucas asked as the boys walked into the Locker room.

Mike wasn't exactly sure how Lucas would react if he told him the truth, but he wasn't ashamed of wanting to befriend Will. It's not like he was asking to be his boyfriend or anything.

"Oh nothing, just making sure he did my homework for me." Mike lied.

Lucas observed Mike, as if he was seeing wether or not he was going to believe him. This caused Mike to tense up a bit.

"Ask him if he can do mine too." He said before walking away.

Mike took a breath and continued getting dressed to go home, knowing that Karen was probably already waiting for him in the front.

To be continued...

Meant to post this yesterday but it takes me forever to write so... Also tysm for reading ! I appreciate you ! - Vaeh

[6/15/20 | 856 words]