"I'm just trying to show you I can be nice when I have to be—"

"Exactly, Chloé.  You're only nice when you're in danger of losing something you cherish, like my friendship.  You're never nice because you know it's the right thing to do.  You're only nice to people when you have something to gain or lose from them.  If I go to that party, I know what's gonna happen.  As soon as I tell you everything's cool between us, you'll go right back to stepping on everybody, just like you did last time."

"Adrien, things are different this time!  I promise, I'll be better this time!"

"Prove it.  Show me you can be nice at school tomorrow.  And the day after that...and everyday after that!  One nice thing for our class isn't going to cut it this time.  If you can be nice for more than a few hours, I'll reconsider our friendship.  If not...well, you know the drill."

A sigh came from the other end of the phone.  "Chloé, I gotta go now.  But I'll be watching you from now on.  Bye."

"Adrien, no!  Don't hang up!"  But as she was midway through her sentence, the sharp buzzing came from her phone, signaling the end of the call.

Chloé looked around and saw that everyone was staring at her, making her feel as if she were drowning.  Marinette gulped and kept her gaze firmly on her rival.  She expected Chloé to snap right back to her usual horrible self, to start yelling and insulting them, now that she no longer had to act nice for Adrien's arrival.

Instead, her reaction surprised Marinette.  Fresh tears bubbled in Chloe's eyes, and she dropped her phone and ran out of the room sobbing into her hands.  Sabrina ran after her best friend to comfort her.  Everyone watched them until they were out of sight.

It was so quiet in the room that you could hear a pin drop.  Marinette was stunned.  She had only seen Chloé cry once before, when she was ashamed about hurting her dad's feeling, leading to his akumazation, and about how lonely and useless she felt.  Even then, that was quite recently.

A part of Marinette felt sorry for Chloé.  Even though she was mean, she really did care about Adrien.  After all, he was the only true friend she had.  Sure, she had Sabrina, but the little redhead had no idea how friendship worked.  Even when she tried being friends with Marinette, Sabrina had acted more like a lackey than a friend.  She was nice, but she was too eager to please, and had a lot to learn about what a real friend was.

"You okay?"

Marinette looked up at Henri, returning his concerned expression with a guilty one.  "I know I shouldn't, but..."

"You feel bad for her."

She nodded.  "I mean, I know Chloé can be nasty to the rest of us, but she really does care about Adrien.  A lot.  I mean, they grew up together.  He's the only one who sticks up for her.  Without him, she doesn't have any real friends."

Henri pauses before he spoke.  "Hey, why don't I talk to her?  Cheer her up?"

Marinette's lip worried.  "Are you sure that's a good idea?  Chloé can be really nasty, especially when she's been jilted to dissed.  Maybe you shouldn't poke the bear?"

"She's never been mean to me.", said Henri.  "Even though everyone else has.  Maybe it's a sign she likes me?  Or at least doesn't hate me."

Marinette slowly nodded her head.  That was true.  It was strange that the friends that she had once thought were the nicest people she met could be so horrible towards such an innocent boy, while the meanest girl in school had spared him from her usual cruelty.  But if she had not taken the opportunity to pick on him, even while the rest of her peers were all ragging on him, maybe that meant she sort of liked him.  Or at the least, she respected him enough not to target him.