Chapter 2

I knelt in the foyer panting. I had done it, I had really done it! Laughter bubbled up in my chest. "I can't believe that actually worked," I gasped out between breaths.
Moments later Azriel's footfalls sounded on the floor, he stopped beside me.
"What ...was that?" He ground out, voice dangerously low.
"What was what?" I asked, feigning innocence.
I could feel his glare on me, tearing through my shields.
Azriel crossed his arms, not buying my act for a second.
"I thought we agreed no magic"
I could practically smell the tension rolling off of him, and for some reason it made me mad.
" I never agreed to anything; you made me take the faebane." I snapped, finally meeting his gaze.
I knew it wasn't the magic he was mad about.
"Besides, it wasn't my magic, it was the runestone. . .earth magic."
He was silent.
"If there's nothing else you have to say to me, then I'm going to take a nice, long, hot bath."
He just stared at me, a frown etched into his face.
I smirked and got up off the floor, heading towards my bedroom. "Training bright and early again tomorrow?" I called over my shoulder.
The answer never came, because when I turned around at the door, Azriel was gone, leaving me in the hall alone.
****